Sunday, June 19, 2011

Saddle Up Your Heart - Chapter 7



Disclaimer: I don't own Twilight, but I'm grateful to Stephenie Meyer for her dream/vision. Please don't steal my original work.

He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler. ~ Psalm 91:4

EPOV

Spring was finally budding in northern Nevada. Along with the warmer temperatures, more people were moving into town including new business people such as another doctor. My dad was thrilled to have someone to consult on cases with. It was getting closer to the time I could ask Bella to marry me again! I barely wanted to wait an hour between asking her and going to Pastor Webber to perform the ceremony.

Bella had been busy churning out occasional treats for me in Rachel's newly-labeled kitchen. She really was an excellent cook and baker, once Rachel had taken her under her wing.

With the arrival of spring, it was time for me to go purchase the house in Washoe Valley. I didn't want to be away from Bella for more than a day, but I was not sure how long this house-buying process would take. My dad decided he would travel along with me to see how Kate was progressing with her pregnancy.

I had to see Bella before I left that morning. I couldn't go without holding her to me so I could feel her in my arms. We were able to meet for a short time in the sitting room at the boarding house before she left for the school day.

"I'll miss you," I told her, looking into her beautiful brown eyes.

"I will miss you as well, Edward," she responded and placed her hand on my arm. That wasn't enough for me. I took her in my arms and crushed her to me for a moment and then let her go. I gently took a ringlet of soft hair near her face and wrapped it around my finger.

"I have to go," I sighed.

"I know," she said. "Be safe."

"I'll be back as soon as possible. I love you, Bella," I replied.

"I love you, too."

I had to go now. I had many things to do to get our future set in motion. She still had the rest of her contract to complete. I needed to get this house and ranch purchased and then work on disentangling myself from the police force of Virginia City. With Mayor Hale's blessing, I was hoping to appoint Mike as the next sheriff. He was my only deputy and was doing a good job.

I wanted to encourage Bear into a full gallop as soon as Dad and I hit the outskirts of town, but I knew I couldn't do that to my horse. Washoe Valley was a distance away and probably a good two to three hour ride.

When we finally arrived at the Cooper's, Garrett and Kate were happy to see us. There was definitely nothing hiding the fact Kate was with child now. She looked practically ready to burst at any moment. We settled our horses in the barn and went to join the couple for lunch before going to look at the adjoining property.

Once we reached the property, Jacob and Leah Black came out to greet us, along with their five children – whose names I never did catch. They were all rough and tumble, playing on a tree swing, or attempting to frighten the cattle.

All the buildings were in good condition, most likely needing a little fixing up due to these rambunctious children, but those were easy things for Garrett and me. I mainly concentrated on the big house and the barn, but then my dad drew my attention to a little cottage also on the property.

I said to Jacob, "Does this little place come with the deal?"

"Definitely," he said. "We never really had time to do much with it. I mostly used it for extra horse supplies I couldn't fit in the barn." He opened the door and showed me inside. There was a sleeping room off to one side along with a snug hearth in the main part of the house and a kitchen.

An idea began to form in my mind. I wondered if Bella would want her Gran to come live with us. She always talked of her so fondly. I always passed along my greetings for her with every letter she sent. Bella teased me into thinking her Gran had some kind of crush on me. I didn't know if her Gran was someone who was up for an adventure of living in the West when she had the comforts of Chicago at her disposal, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Once our business was concluded, Jacob and I signed the necessary paperwork, shook hands, money went from my pocket to his – along with a large portion from my dad that I hadn't known about previously – and it was done. I was now the owner of this ranch. The Black family and their brood would be moving within the week, leaving their cattle behind. Garrett and Kate would take care of them as well as their own until Bella and I moved here.

"Dad," I said as I caught up to him on the way back to the Cooper's, "you didn't need to give me any money."

"Edward," he replied, "There was always going to be an inheritance for you. But Irina didn't need to know about it." He clapped me on the back and grinned.

I returned his grin. My dad really was a sly dog. He'd known about Irina all along and exactly what she was after. I sent a quick thankful prayer heavenward once again for Bella. She'd come from wealth, but it wasn't that important to her. I wanted to pick her up and spin her around in jubilation right now. I could almost hear her breathless giggle in my ears.

On a ranch, chores are a constant presence. I went to help Garrett so I could reacquaint myself with ranch life. Kate was going to lie down for a quick nap. I couldn't blame her with the burden of life she was carrying. Any woman would surely be tired.

I had stripped down to my undershirt so my outer shirt wouldn't be soaked with sweat as I was carrying heavy hay bales throughout the barn. I was spreading out the hay so the animals would have some fresh when they returned to their stalls later.

Eventually, Kate's voice interrupted my musings about Bella as she said, "Edward, you'll make Bella a fine husband."

I looked toward where she was standing at the barn door and grinned. I said, "Do you think so?"

"I know so," she replied.

"Well, if she'll have me. I botched up my last proposal pretty bad. It wasn't very romantic."

She laughed and said, "I'm sure it wasn't. Knowing you, you probably just blurted it all out and it was all about you."

I grimaced and said, "Yeah, that was pretty much it."

"Well, next time, let it be about her and what she loves," Kate said as she stood there, rubbing her lower back.

"Hey," I said with concern, "are you all right?"

"Yes. My back is just hurting a bit. I was just coming to call you in for dinner." Then she left the barn.

I finished my task and then washed up in the outdoor sink provided for that purpose. It's a good thing Bella hadn't seen me right then. She may not have wanted a sweaty rancher who was back in the saddle on his first day as it were.

Kate was always a great cook and dinner that night was no exception. We had chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes with gravy, green beans, and biscuits, followed by apple pie for dessert. I had to suppress a grin when I bit into my pie, remembering Bella's apple pie. I never teased Bella about it, though, because Rachel had taken her under her tutelage soon after that and everything I'd had the pleasure of tasting since then had been mouth-watering.

There were only so many people who could fit in Kate's kitchen, so I determined to help her clean up from dinner while Garrett and Dad challenged each other to a game of checkers. I figured if Kate's back was hurting, she could use a bit of help. We got everything in order in record time. Then we all sat and listened while Garrett read a few chapters from the Bible before we retired for the night.

Beautiful dreams of Bella were on my mind as I slept that night. I could almost feel the softness of that curl of her hair in my fingers right before I'd left her this morning. But then things were getting strange and fuzzy, almost out of focus. And then a shout interrupted my dreams.

"Carlisle!" I tried to orient myself. That sounded like Garrett. What was going on? I hurriedly dressed and looked at my pocket watch – 3 a.m. Ugh – who was awake at this hour?

I opened the bedroom door and stumbled into the hallway. A single candle was burning on the kitchen table. It seemed the action was coming from Garrett and Kate's bedroom. What in the world? I cautiously made my way down the hallway to the better-lit bedroom of the Cooper's.

Dad must've seen my shadow on the wall. "Ah, there you are, Edward. Could you run over and get Mrs. Black from next door? I need her."

Was he crazy? It was three in the morning! He must've sensed my reluctance as he continued, "Edward, could you wake up your head and your feet? Kate is going to have her baby and I'd prefer to deliver it with Mrs. Black in attendance."

Kate was having her baby? A bucket full of cold water couldn't have woken me up any faster than that statement. I hadn't even rehearsed what I was going to say to Mrs. Black when I went knocking on her door in the dead of night.

Thankfully, Mrs. Black was the one who answered her front door after just a short time of me knocking. She seemed to know right away what the emergency was. Dad had introduced himself to the Black family as a doctor the day before, and in my sleep-deprived state, I believe I remembered Mrs. Black giving him a knowing smile.

Now, why was Mrs. Black walking leisurely along? She was sort of tall and thin. I wondered if she would mind if I picked her up and carried her to the Cooper's. Did she not understand the urgency? Kate was having a baby!

Mrs. Black glanced over at me, put her hand on my shoulder, smiled, and said, "Mr. Cullen, I know you think I'm dawdling. But first babies take a long time to arrive. When we get to Garrett and Kate's, I'd like you to boil some water for me."

I agreed and we continued on our way. Finally we made it to the house. Garrett was standing outside.

"What's wrong?" I asked immediately.

"Nothing, supposedly," Garrett answered, "I've just been banished from the house – by Kate."

Mrs. Black, giving another knowing smile, continued into the house with me in hot pursuit. My job was to boil water. How much? I wasn't sure, but I'd use every large pot they owned so they'd have plenty. If that ran out, I'd boil more.

I stoked the wood in the stove and set the water on to boil. Then I joined Garrett outside – once I found him. He was in the barn.

"She didn't even want me in the same room," he started, his voice breaking.

I said, "I'm sure she still loves you."

"I don't know," he said. "She said some pretty choice words that I wasn't even aware she knew before finally kicking me out."

The horses eyed us curiously as we were invading their space well before their normal routine. Every so often, we'd hear Kate let out a scream or a cry. Garrett was going to go crazy until I suggested we get the morning chores out of the way so we'd have something to do.

Around 10 a.m., we heard the cry of a newborn baby. Garrett and I had been sitting on the porch, gazing out over Washoe Valley. Soon, Mrs. Black was out the front door with a bundle in her arms and we both stood up.

"Garrett," she said, "you have a beautiful daughter who looks just like her mother." With that, she handed the sleeping baby to Garrett and then she went back inside to tend to Kate.

Garrett was holding his new daughter like a china doll, barely able to believe it. I came over to him and looked down at the baby. She was beautiful, especially when she yawned a bit and then nestled back into her snug bundle.

"Congratulations, Daddy," I said, smiling. Garrett was grinning like a fool, staring down at his daughter.

Soon, Mrs. Black left to return home and Dad was outside, telling Garrett he could go back inside and see Kate. He took his daughter with him.

I said, "Dad, I'm grateful you were here when they needed you."

He replied, "I'm glad I was, too. Kate did beautifully. Thank you for going to get Mrs. Black."

We stayed with the Cooper's for another night as they adjusted to having a new baby. I was even able to hold her a time or two. It was definitely awe-inspiring. I was anxious to get home and back to Bella. I couldn't wait to feel her in my arms again.

BPOV

I expected Edward home today which is why I wore this ridiculous dress again; it wasn't in my normal rotation. It was the sapphire blue dress I'd been wearing when I fell out of that stagecoach so long ago. I didn't wear it on a regular basis because it had to be worn with an extraordinary amount of petticoats. I'd been tempted to give it to Rachel to use in one – or several – of her quilting projects. But I wore it today because I was hoping Edward was coming home today and my vanity was getting the better of me.

I looked again at the note Edward had left me at the school on the morning he left: Dear Bella, I will miss you every moment I'm away from you. I intend to be gone only the shortest amount of time possible – only to secure our future, my love. Until we are reunited, I long to be kissing you under the mistletoe. Your most incorrigible student, Edward. He truly was incorrigible!

Edward had made arrangements with Mike, his deputy, to walk me to school the mornings he was gone. I thought it was totally ridiculous, as it was broad daylight. It did give Mike an opportunity to see Jessica in the morning when he normally wouldn't, though, and I couldn't begrudge him that. James still did give me odd looks whenever he was around, so I avoided him as much as possible.

I don't know if it was just because this was my first teaching position or because of the students I was teaching, but I truly enjoyed each and every one of my students. I remembered when I was a student and having "spring fever" and wanting school to get out early in the spring. These children really did want to learn.

We were having story time in the afternoon when the school door opened and someone entered. I finished the paragraph I was reading and then I looked up.

There stood James Smith, nostrils flaring with an angry look in his eyes.

"Miss Swan, it's time for you to go," he said dangerously.

"Mr. Smith, I'm teaching a classroom full of children. You need to leave," I stated.

He pulled a pistol out of a holster on his hip and cocked the trigger, pointing it at me. "No, Miss Swan, you'll be leaving now."

I dropped the book to the floor and held up my hands. I said, "There's no need for violence. What is the meaning of this?"

He showed no move to drop the gun and replied, "I told you before. I'm tired of seeing you with that two-bit sheriff. It's time for you to be with a real man – me. You will come with me now. If you don't, I'll hurt one of these children." He waved his gun menacingly in their direction.

"There's no need for that," I said.

"Excellent," he said. "I'm sure it will break Edward's little heart when he finds out I've robbed the bank and kidnapped his little sweetheart. I've been doing some research on you, Miss Swan. I wonder how much ransom Mommy and Daddy are willing to pay for their little girl."

As James got behind me and dug his pistol into my ribs, I looked around at the children, my gaze last landing on Alice. She was petrified, but I could see Jasper reaching out to hold her hand.

James stated to the children, "You little brats, you will stay here for an hour and not say a word. Miss Swan and I will be long gone by the time you'll go home."

He led me outside to the two horses tied to the railing outside the school and attempted to help me onto one of the horses. I'd never been on a horse when I wasn't wearing trousers under my skirt. With all these petticoats, it was almost pointless.

Finally, I made it up on the horse, but not without leaving several of my petticoats in tatters. James just laughed. "They'll be ripped later after I ravish you anyway," he said. I shuddered.

Then he said, "We are going to ride through town calmly. You are not going to scream or create attention as I still have this pistol aimed at you. No one in town knows the bank has been robbed yet as I tied up and gagged the tellers good and strong. Once we are on the edge of town, we are going to gallop at full speed." We went in the direction of Mayor Hale's house and then on past it, which was the opposite way of Washoe Valley.

Before we broke into a full gallop, I was able to surreptitiously rip a piece of one of my tattered petticoats and throw it into a tree branch without James noticing. I prayed if someone came to rescue me, they would notice it.

Hours later when we finally stopped, James finally allowed me off the horse I was riding. When I stumbled upon dismount, he laughed at me again. "You really are clumsy," he said. "I'm not sure why Edward wants you."

"He loves me, not that it's any of your concern," I shot back.

"We'll see about that after you're a soiled dove," he said smugly. Then he was beside me and grabbing me around the waist. When I wrenched out of his grasp, he slapped me. I gasped in surprise.

"You'll come to learn to like my touch, Bella," he affirmed.

"Not likely," I said under my breath.

In one moment, the rifle was in a side pocket of his saddle. The next, he was striking my leg with the butt of it. I howled in pain as it tore through my leg. I'd never had a broken bone before, but I knew my leg was broken now.

"Shut up before someone hears you, you stupid girl," he said, as my sobs continued.

EPOV

Dad and I rode back into Virginia City in the late afternoon. It had been a relaxing journey to the Cooper's. They had a new baby. I was the owner of a new ranch that I couldn't wait to share with Bella. As we led our horses to the barn, Alice came tearing out of the house to meet us.

She clamped onto my waist immediately and cried, "Oh Edward!"

"Ali sweetie, what's wrong?" I asked.

She was crying and sniffling and it was difficult to get a word out. "That bad man came to school…and Miss Bella…and…and…she's gone."

I picked her up and held her close while she buried her face in my neck and cried. Just then, Mike came walking up.

"Hey Mike," I greeted him. "What's going on?"

"It's true what Alice says. James Smith robbed the bank today. Then he went to the school while Bella was teaching and kidnapped her. We're getting a search party together. You want in?" Mike asked.

"Yes." Dear Lord in heaven, where is Bella? I need her. Please take care of her and help me to get to her!

No comments:

Post a Comment