Monday, October 18, 2010

The Business Arrangement - Chapter 3

I don't own Twilight, but I'm grateful to Stephenie Meyer for her dream/vision. Please don't steal my original work.

Bella POV

Alice was super-excited one day after work when she came bouncing in our apartment with newspapers in hand. I wasn't sure what had her in such a tizzy. "Bella, we're in the newspaper! On the society page, for goodness sake – look!" she said as she thrust a copy into my hand.

I looked at the black and white photo. There stood Carlisle and Esme Cullen to the side as I introduced Alice to Jasper; Edward was nearest me. We were all smiling – that was odd…I had rarely seen a smile grace Edward's face…and usually not in my presence. Although he was very charming after the incident with Emmett – for which I was grateful.

"And," Alice paused dramatically, "since you're redecorating that blasted bulletin board over the desk in your bedroom, this would be a perfect addition!" She was right. I had removed the photos of Emmett, storing them in a file folder. He was still a handsome man, but not someone I needed to be looking at or dreaming about on a daily basis. I'd seen what his true colors could be and that wasn't what I wanted. I'd started placing photos of areas I'd like to visit on the board instead – Paris, Italy, London.

Not that Emmett had attempted to apologize – he had. A huge bouquet of flowers arrived on my desk the Monday after the party with a handwritten apology card. He came and told me he was sorry. I accepted his apology, but as soon as he was out of my office, I took the bouquet and placed it on Lauren's desk. It would get seen a lot more from her vantage point rather than in my office. I thought I saw a smirk on Edward's face once when I saw him passing in the hallway, but I couldn't be sure. He was a difficult one to read – I couldn't be sure what the smirk was about.

Alice's cell phone rang just then and as she answered it, I went to make dinner. We were having spaghetti, garlic bread and tossed salad tonight. I turned on the radio which sat on the kitchen counter. Then I set some water on the stove to boil for the pasta and got the salad ingredients out of the refrigerator.

Alice entered our small kitchen, gazing dreamily at me and asked, "Guess who that was on the phone?"

I looked her square in the eye and said, "Well, from your look, it must've been Prince Charming."

She squealed and exclaimed, "It was! It was Jasper Cullen! He wants to take me out on Friday night!" She grabbed me up and twirled me around in a circle. For such a small thing, she can be strong when she wants to be.

"Put me down, Alice. You're making me dizzy!" I said. After she complied, I continued, "That's great, sweetie! I think you'll have a lot of fun!"

"Of course we will," she said and winked at me. "I'm more than ten kinds of fun!" No doubt about that!

We finished our dinner preparations and ate; all the while Alice regaled me with how fabulous Jasper was. I just grinned, excited for her. I knew Jasper was great – that's why I wanted to introduce them to each other.

For some reason, that night was the first night I dreamt of Edward Cullen. What was he doing, showing up in my dreams? It was the strangest dream – it started like a normal day at work, but then suddenly morphed into an almost-fantasy "Beauty and the Beast" where Edward removed his professional persona and showed me his true self – smiling, laughing, loving – and I fell in love with him. I awoke with a start at the first ring of my alarm, wondering what the hell that was about. I couldn't and wouldn't let myself get involved with another fantasy man – as Emmett was to me before I learned the real truth about him. Besides, Edward could have his pick of any society woman in New York – or the world, for that matter. There is no way he would be interested in Bella Swan from Forks, Washington!

Edward POV

The day the newspaper came out with our photo in it from the party, Shelly brought it into my office. "This is a very nice picture of you, Edward," Shelly complimented me.

"Thank you," I replied. "Could you contact the photographer and have him send the original photo to me?"

"Of course," she said and left my office. There was one good thing about being influential and powerful – you could get photographers at newspapers to bend to your will.

Now that color photograph resided in a frame on my bedside table at home. Most nights before drifting off to sleep, I imagined running my fingers through Isabella's hair and kissing her beautiful lips. It was probably best she wasn't sharing my bed – she wouldn't be getting a lot of sleep. Who was I kidding? She probably would never want me that way – especially after the stupid way my brother acted with her. I wanted to go to his room down the hall and punch him right in the face.

Every day at work, I became more impressed with her, her ethics, her personality – everything about her. When I saw she moved Emmett's flower bouquet from her office out to Lauren's desk, I almost laughed out loud in the hallway. I tried to cover it with a well-timed smirk when I saw Isabella looking my direction.

I held a meeting with the management team, outlining the new changes within our group. The changes mainly dealt with business travel. For instance, the senior manager and their own assistant would not fly together. If, God forbid, something happened to the plane, the other person would still be available. Jasper and Angela didn't travel that often with the rest of the group so the new policy didn't affect their working relationship that much. It did, however, affect Shelly, Emmett and Isabella, along with me.

I couldn't make the big change I'd really like to – make Isabella my assistant. Shelly had worked for our company for years. She and I had a great working relationship. With Isabella directly next door to me, I'd never get anything done. Besides, with Isabella working as Emmett's assistant, I knew the day-to-day functions of our company were in good hands.

Additionally, I informed them a business trip was coming up within the next week that would require traveling to Chicago, Illinois. We were discussing the possibility of taking over a smaller company located there. It was decided Isabella and I would travel on the first plane out and Emmett and Shelly would follow soon afterward.

What was with Isabella today? She seemed a little stand-offish and I couldn't understand it. Normally I was the one who acted that way – that was my normal way of going about business during the day. I decided I needed to look into it immediately. I retrieved the travel details for the upcoming trip from Shelly and told her I would take care of informing Isabella. She gave me a surprised look, but willingly handed over all the documentation.

I knocked lightly on Isabella's open office door and she bid me to enter.

"I brought the travel documents for you for our trip next week," I said, in what I hoped was a smooth voice.

Isabella seemed to stiffen her spine and said, "Oh, well, thank you, Edward."

I continued, "We'll be flying in one of the company planes to Chicago and then staying at the Hilton once we arrive. The meeting with Trask Communications is scheduled for 3 p.m. the day we arrive." I placed the documents on her desk in front of her.

"OK," she said in a small voice.

"Have I done something to offend you, Isabella?"

"No!" she barely squeaked out.

Her hand was resting on her desk and I reached over to place mine on top of it. It felt as though there was an electric current passing between us and it wasn't because I had been dragging my feet across the carpet on my way to her office. She looked down at our hands.

"Are you sure, Isabella?" I asked.

"Yes, I'm positive," she responded as she exhaled a long breath.

I removed my hand from hers and said, "OK. I did want to remind you about something on our business trip. If Emmett takes it upon himself not to show up, you are to conduct his part of the presentation."

She looked up at me quickly and said, "I understand."

I smiled at her a bit and said, "I've seen you in action around here. You'll do great!"

Bella POV

Holy crap, holy crap, holy crap…don't freak out, don't freak out, don't freak out! Yep, this is what I was mentally chanting to myself to get through my little interaction with Edward. Why had he brought me the travel documents? I had expected Shelly to bring them. No, Edward, you've done nothing to offend me. I've just spent my entire night dreaming of you and falling in love with you in that dream, for God's sake. No, everything is perfectly ok.

If I could drink, now would be a great time to do it…right after work! But I didn't even have that luxury…damn migraine drugs.

I wasn't having a problem with Edward telling me I'd need to do the presentation if Emmett didn't show up. I knew the presentation backward and forward – I'd developed it. I'd already made several presentations to the home office staff.

Soon enough, travel day was upon us. Sam Uley was a licensed pilot and he would be flying us to Chicago today. I wasn't a big fan of flying, but I felt safe with Sam. Of course, I was also traveling with Edward as my only traveling companion on one of the company's private jets.

Once Sam gave us the clearance, both of us stayed busy with our laptop computers for most of the trip. Finally, Edward closed his and said to me, "You realize the press will be at the airport, hungry for a story on this takeover."

"The press?" I squeaked out as my foot began jack-hammering against the floor of the plane beneath me.

Suddenly Edward's hand covered the knee atop my furiously pounding foot and my foot stilled immediately. He looked into my eyes and said, "You don't have to speak to them, if you don't wish. You wouldn't have to give them any more information than if you were writing a press release in Publications."

I replied quietly, "I'd prefer to let you speak to them."

At his quiet assent, we gathered our coats and headed for the exit. As soon as we stepped foot on the tarmac, I was blinded and disoriented by flashbulbs.

Edward POV

I could see Isabella immediately stiffen beside me as we deplaned and set foot before the news-hungry press. Without a second thought, I put my arm around her waist and drew her to me. Even though the reporters were loud and obnoxious, I could swear I heard her sharp intake of breath – but she didn't move away.

I answered their questions for a few polite minutes, and then told them we needed to be off to our scheduled appointments.

One last question stopped me in my tracks. "Mr. Cullen, who is this lovely young lady on your arm and what is your relationship with her?" Oh – the things I'd love to answer that question with – I wanted to be everything to her. I answered simply, "This is Isabella Swan. She works for Cullen International as my brother's assistant."

The nosey reporter kept on, "Are you dating her?"

I thought about breaking his pathetic little tape recorder into a million pieces, but replied simply, "No."

With that, I guided Isabella to our waiting limousine where our luggage had already been stowed safely inside and indicated she should slide in first.

When I had shut the door and let the driver know we were ready to depart, Isabella looked at me with her beautiful brown eyes and said quietly, "Thank you."

"Think nothing of it," I replied quickly, still on professional take-no-prisoners mode.

I noticed she withdrew into herself and stared out the opposite window at the passing scenery instead of chancing another glance at me. Fuck! Why did I always screw things up with her? I wanted her to like me – hell, fall in love with me – not tune me out. I ran my hand through my hair in frustration.

Someday I was going to have to talk to her about how I felt about her. She would never guess how strong my feelings really were – not in a million years.

We were installed in our rooms at the hotel and I noticed I had a voice mail on my phone from Shelly. Apparently my charming brother didn't bother getting himself to the airport in time and Shelly was unsure if she should come alone. I called her back immediately and told her it was fine if she stayed in New York. Isabella and I could take care of everything for this meeting in Chicago.

At 2:30 p.m., I met Isabella in the lobby of the hotel and we rode over in the same limousine to Trask Communications. I informed her that Emmett and Shelly were not coming. If she was going to freak out, I needed to know now – before we got in front of these people. She drew in a deep breath but assured me she was fine.

The presentation was nothing short of spectacular. Isabella did so well! I knew she did great with our company's employees, but to see her in action with people who were totally unfamiliar – she totally charmed them. She presented her information in such a way and she was so damn beautiful, it seemed Mr. Trask was willing to give her just about anything she wanted.

Glad I was there as the voice of reason and to lure Mr. Trask's eyes away from Isabella in her gorgeous dress. My possessiveness was going to get the better of me if I didn't cool down for a moment. I was just about to the point of making her wait in the hallway for the meeting to finish. Isabella, though, always surprises me – she sat down in the vacant conference room chair next to me, placed her hand on my thigh for the merest whisper of a moment, winked at me, and began wrapping up the meeting. What the hell just happened – did she even know what she was doing to me?

The meeting concluded – not soon enough for me, even though Isabella never touched me or looked my way inappropriately another time – and we went back to the hotel.

I asked her if she would eat dinner with me in the hotel dining room, which she readily agreed to. I asked her to tell me about her childhood. I learned all about her growing up in Phoenix and then Forks. I'd never been to Washington State, but had heard it was beautiful. Then she told me she and Alice moved to New York as Alice wanted to be near the fashion capital of the world and she'd been lucky to find a job at our company.

Then she asked me, plain as day, "Where do you live, Edward?"

I sputtered a bit and replied, "You know where I live – New York, Long Island. You've been to my house."

She gazed back at me over the dimly-lit, damask-covered table, "I mean in your heart, Edward."

Here was my chance to tell her how I felt! I smiled at her gently and opened my mouth to speak. Just then, the waiter at the next table dropped his serving tray and there was a clatter of dishes in all directions. Apologies and chaos ensued and our moment was broken.

As we were heading back to our rooms, I noticed a nightclub in the hotel. "Isabella, please come have a drink with me before we turn in."

She looked dubious, but said, "OK."

She ordered a Diet Coke, but I asked for two shots of tequila. I was going to tell Isabella how I felt about her, dammit, and if I needed liquid courage to do so, well so be it!

After one shot of tequila was down my gullet, I asked her if she wanted to dance. She just looked at me. "Isabella, we always dance after celebrating something or other. Last time it was the way you handled Emmett. Today it was the way you and I handled the meeting with Trask."

She agreed. Then, she did the strangest thing. She picked up my other shot of tequila and drank it down. Maybe she needed her own liquid courage!

There was a slow song playing and I was grateful for that. Isabella was holding onto my waist and I was holding onto hers. We were moving in a slow circle. Soon, I felt her body go slack against mine. If I wasn't holding her, she would've fallen to the floor. Holy hell! What was happening? I needed to get her out of this club and soon. I held her body next to mine, found her clutch and carried her out of the club.

It was tantamount to treason to go through a woman's handbag according to my mother, but I had no idea which room was Isabella's. This was only a small clutch that possibly held her ID, a cell phone, a credit card, some MAC lip gloss and her room key.

I attempted to revive her by saying her name several times, but there was absolutely no response. I kept my arm firmly around her waist, hugging her to me and pulling her along. I can't say I didn't enjoy the lovely scent of freesia and strawberries emanating from the beautiful woman beside me. In fact, I put my nose to her hair and positively drank that scent in. Heavenly.

I was trying not to attract too much attention from the other hotel guests. We finally made it to the elevator, where I pushed the button for the floor of my room and finally scooped Isabella up in my arms. I was glad we were the only occupants of the elevator.

I fumbled with my room key, but it finally slid in the lock and the door opened. As soon as the door closed behind us, I started speaking a little louder, "Isabella, please! Wake up! Tell me what's going on!"

Isabella still wasn't responding to anything I was saying. Crap! I couldn't just put her to bed in her dress. I gently placed her on the bed as I went around to the other side and turned the covers down. I went back to her and sat her up so her forehead was against my abdomen. I worked her dress from underneath her and then off her arms. As she was sitting there in her slip, she moaned. Oh fuck – anything but that, Isabella! My dick twitched in my pants involuntarily. I looked down at her. Her breasts were swelling most fetchingly out of that silky slip she was now wearing. She still had not opened her eyes and was still passed out.

I placed her back on the bed and that's when I noticed she had hose on her gorgeous legs. I couldn't let her sleep in those. I took her stilettos off and placed them by the end of her bed. I went to pull down her pantyhose – only, she wasn't wearing pantyhose – she was wearing stockings and a garter belt. As if I wasn't tempted enough already. I tried not to stare inordinately as I unhooked the clips and rolled the stockings down her flawless legs. I wasn't even going to attempt to take off the garter belt – the hell with that. My dick couldn't take that. She'd just have to sleep with that on, along with her slip and whatever other sinful undergarments she was wearing under there.

I retrieved a wet wash cloth from the bathroom and placed it over her eyes, then shut the bedroom door of my suite and went out into the living room portion. I went through Isabella's clutch and found her cell phone. I found Alice's number right away and called her.

Alice answered, "Bella! Are you having fun in Chicago? Is Edward being nice to you?"

I responded, "Hello Alice. This is Edward Cullen."

She said warily, "Where is Bella?"

I continued, "Alice, that's why I'm calling. I need to ask you if Isabella has bad reactions to alcoholic beverages."

"Oh my god," she screamed into the phone, "you let her drink?"

"Not intentionally!" I affirmed.

"OK. I'm trying to calm down. Bella takes migraine medication. She's not supposed to drink at all and she knows that. I wonder why she was drinking tonight?"

"Well, we were in a celebratory mood. She did order Diet Coke, but reached over and took one of my tequila shots," I said.

After a few more minutes on the phone with Alice and determining what medications Isabella was taking and promising I would take good care of her, I hung up with Alice. Then I called my own physician to determine what Isabella's damage would be. He decided if it was only one drink, the consequences wouldn't be severe, but I should keep watch over her. I told him I was already doing that.

After replacing Isabella's wash cloth with a fresh one, I stripped down to my boxer briefs and went to sleep on the couch in the living room. I got up several times during the night to check on Isabella, always replacing her wash cloth with a new cool one. She seemed to sleep soundly – while I was out of my mind with worry. Finally the stress won out and I drifted off to a troubled sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment