Monday, October 18, 2010

The Business Arrangement - Chapter 4

I don't own Twilight, but I'm grateful to Stephenie Meyer for her dream/vision. Please don't steal my original work.

Chapter 4 – Changes

Bella POV

I woke from a dreamless sleep at around 7 a.m. There was something weighing down my eyelids, so I couldn't open them. As I reached up to find the item blocking my vision, I discovered it was a wash cloth. I removed it and wondered where the hell I was. I attempted to think back to my last conscious memory.

I had been dancing with Edward in a nightclub of some sort. I was drinking Diet Coke. We had eaten dinner previously. Wait – there was something I was missing. I rewound my fuzzy head to the part between the Diet Coke and the dancing. I remember Edward had two shots of tequila sitting in front of him. He drank one. I could see in my mind's eye now – I was reaching over and took one myself. What in the hell was I thinking? I can't drink alcohol…at least not while I'm on these prescription migraine medications! And furthermore, where in the hell was I?

My eyes focused more as I looked around the room which was decorated in light and dark blue tones. This was definitely not my room in the hotel – my room was decorated in soft green tones. I looked around the room a bit more to try to gather any additional clues to whose room this might be when I focused on a color photo in a small leather frame on the nightstand next to the bed. It was the photo from the newspaper from the party at the Cullen's. Was this Edward's room?

At that thought, my mind became totally focused and hyper-aware. Why did he carry this photo around? Where was my dress? Did he undress me? Worse yet, did he sleep with me while I was passed out and oblivious to the entire world? I looked at the entire king-size bed and saw the other side of the bed was undisturbed. If this was Edward's room, where was he? Did he sleep in my room instead? Why didn't he just take me to my own room?

I got out of bed and made my way to the bathroom, made use of the facilities, then looked in the mirror. One good thing about sleeping like the dead, I suppose, your hair looks almost exactly the same. Some mornings when I got up, it looked like a haystack. I put my dress, stockings and heels back on.

Before opening the bedroom door, I wondered to myself what I'd say to Edward if he was on the other side of this door. I had nothing in mind – just that I was sorry he had to take care of me after I made a very stupid move.

Once out in the living room of the suite, I found Edward still asleep on the couch. He looked so angelic with his mouth partially open and one hand tucked under his handsome face. I knew I had to wake him up and not just be gone.

"Edward," I said softly.

"Mmmm?" he sleepily responded.

"Edward, you need to wake up," I said as I gently touched his shoulder.

Edward bolted up from the couch so quickly you would've thought his hair was on fire. Suddenly, he was off the couch and standing beside me. "Isabella, are you all right?" he questioned. He inspected my face with his green eyes.

I tried to suppress my giggle; I truly did. I know he was concerned about me, but his very prominent erection was making itself very well-known as it was hanging in the air between us.

"Oh my god, Isabella, I'm so sorry," he said, as he grabbed the periwinkle blue blanket he'd been using off the couch and wrapped it around his waist. I think it was the very first time I ever saw Edward Cullen blush. I didn't even know he was capable of doing that. Then he sat back down on the couch and gestured for me to sit next to him. I did so.

"Yes, I think I'm all right. I did something very stupid last night, though; something I shouldn't ever do. I should never drink since I'm on medication for migraine headaches," I told him.

Edward replied, "So I've heard. Alice and I had a little conversation after you passed out on me. She told me the medications you were taking. I called my doctor to find out what I needed to do for you. I assure you, Isabella, nothing inappropriate happened."

"I know, Edward. You're a gentleman. You wouldn't do that. Can I ask you a question, though?"

He looked at me earnestly and said, "Anything."

"Why do you have that picture from the newspaper on your bedside table?"

He let out a slow breath and said, "Well, it is a nice photo." He ran a hand through his hair and then said, "Look, Isabella, why don't we both get ready for the day? I will order some room service for breakfast and then we can talk." I agreed.

Edward followed me to the door with the blanket still wrapped around his waist. I picked up my clutch off the table nearest the door and checked inside for my room key. I opened the door and he held it open for me.

I looked at the number on his door and casually mentioned, "You know, I'm just two doors down from you on the other side of the hallway."

He drew his hand through his hair again and was clearly uncomfortable in his state of undress. I can't say that I minded looking at the smattering of hair on his chest and his well-toned muscles. I reminded myself to keep my eyes focused on his and brought them to his face again. He replied, "OK, well, can you be ready within an hour – and dress casually?"

I said that I would and headed down the hallway toward my own room. I'd call Alice during my preparations to let her know I survived the night.

Edward POV

No, Isabella – not all the Cullen boys are rat finks – just Emmett – even though my morning wood is stretching out to greet you like it's fucking 15 years old and wants to shake your hand and make your acquaintance in an up-close-and-personal way! I was mortified beyond belief. I don't think I'd ever been so embarrassed by my own bodily functions as I was just then – not even when I actually was 15 years old. I know it's involuntary and it was the morning, but can my dick not wake up in a lust-induced haze with Isabella around? My brain immediately thought, "That's the wrong question!"

And then the first question out of her mouth is what the picture was doing on my bedside table. I wanted to slap myself silly. Why hadn't I thought to move that last night and put it back in my luggage? Oh hell no – leave it on the nightstand. Then the woman of your dreams can wake up to it and wonder why you're carting around a photo of her like a lovesick puppy. You know, Edward, for someone who appears to have it all together, you really are losing it!

I flung the blanket back over to the couch and stalked into the shower. I needed some relief before Isabella came back to my room and I made a bigger fool of myself.

Isabella arrived back at my room just as the room service was being delivered. She was a vision, as always, in black dress pants, a fuchsia pink blouse and low-heeled shoes. I had ordered us omelettes, fruit, juice and toast.

As our hotel was located on the Magnificent Mile here in Chicago, I had taken the liberty of moving a small table in front of the picture window so we could enjoy a view of Lake Michigan while we enjoyed our breakfast. Masochist that I am, I had arranged our chairs so they were on the same side of the table instead of across from each other – to enjoy the scenery, of course, not because I want to sit beside the object of my desire. Yes, now I'm lying to myself!

We both dug into our breakfast and looked out over the water. It was a gorgeous day. If our conversation went well, I wanted to take Isabella to some of the shops on the Magnificent Mile and possibly over to the beach on the lake.

"So," she began and raised one eyebrow at me, "are you going to tell me about the picture?"

"Do you want the politically correct answer or the honest one?" I replied.

She looked straight back at me and said, "I only want the truth from you, Edward. I have nice photos at home, too. Why is this one so important you would bring it with you?"

It was now or never, I supposed. "Honestly, I didn't know you'd be sleeping in my room here. You would never know I kept that photo on my nightstand. In my concern for you, I didn't think about moving it. I've," I hesitated, "developed feelings for you, Isabella."

"Me?" she asked incredulously. "Why me, when you could have your pick of any socialite in the world?"

"In this business, you find out who is a fake and who is real; who is just after the fame or prestige; who just wants to be arm candy or who wants a real relationship. I've been observing people for a long time now – since before I took over the company from my father. I believe you to be genuine; the real article."

Isabella had stopped eating and was just looking at me with her beautiful brown eyes.

I started again, "Isabella, please tell me what you're thinking. I can't read your mind."

She set her fork carefully on the edge of her plate and said, "Wow. This was definitely not where I thought this conversation was going to go when I came back here this morning. I'm surprised – pleasantly, of course. I have feelings for you as well."

Our gazes never separated. I slipped my hand gently around her neck and into her glorious brown hair. My head moved toward her in what felt like slow motion. I swallowed in anticipation. The kiss was slow, tender, undemanding. The sweetness of it left me wanting more.

When I lifted my mouth from Isabella's, I didn't loosen my hold. I saw the same emotions swimming in her eyes. "Wow," she said again, under her breath. I gave her one of my rare crooked smiles.

"Edward? You're smiling," she said.

"Am I?" I stroked her cheek. My smile widened. "I must be happy."

"You're quite handsome when you're happy."

I trailed the back of one finger under her chin. "I'll make note of your preference."

I broke the spell by going back to my breakfast or I'd be staring goofy-eyed into this woman's face for the rest of the day. "How about we finish our breakfast, then we'll go poke around at some of the shops on the Magnificent Mile or check out the lake?" I suggested.

Isabella was agreeable to that. Since I only had dress clothes with me, I decided to forgo the jacket and tie.

As we were checking out some of the shops later, I asked Isabella, "When I called Alice last night from your cell phone, why did she ask if I was being nice to you?"

She turned to me and said, "Well, she knows in the past you've intimidated me. I'm sure she was just checking on me."

I pulled her into my arms and kissed her forehead. I asked, "And do I still intimidate you, Isabella?"

She mumbled into my chest with a smile, "Not quite so much." I chuckled as I took her hand and we continued our walk.

Ah, love! The barriers it could break down!

After Isabella had rolled up my pant legs and insisted I get my feet wet in the cold water of Lake Michigan as she did the same (I believe her exact words were "Live a little, Edward!") and we sat at a bistro and ate lunch near the water of the Great Lake, I called Sam and asked if he could have the plane ready to go by 2 p.m. We had stayed much longer in Chicago than I'd originally planned, but a good thing had happened here – Isabella and I had begun our relationship.

On our flight back, work suddenly wasn't the most important thing we could be doing.

Isabella asked me, "So, what does a relationship with Edward Cullen look like?"

"Hmm," I replied, "I'm not certain. Wining? Dining?"

"Let's skip the wine, please," she implored.

"Definitely, for you – let's skip that," I agreed with a smile. A devilish gleam came to my eye, "Hot, passionate office sex?"

"Edward!" Isabella shrieked.

"What?" I asked, mock innocently.

She shook her head and said, "I would've never thought of you as that kind of guy."

"Hey," I said, "Just because I seem straight-laced to you doesn't mean I don't have fantasies." I skipped a beat and tilted my head to the side, thoughtfully. "Hmm…if we keep taking these business trips, I'll have to get the planes redesigned so there's a bedroom included." That earned a well-deserved smack on my arm. I laughed and she laughed with me.

Soon after, Sam buzzed me to inform me of some rough air currents coming up before our descent into New York City and that we should fasten our seat belts for safety reasons. I told Isabella and she complied immediately. She was sitting in the seat next to me, so I held her hand and made random patterns with my thumb on the back of it. I looked over at Isabella and her eyes were closed and she was gripping my hand tightly. I have to say, it was pretty rough going there.

To distract her, I did what I'd been wanting to. I leaned over and explored, tasted, and nipped at Isabella's mouth, hoping it would relieve the tension which had built inside me since I'd first seen her. Instead, it made me hunger for more. Much more. With an effort, I dragged my mouth free.

Her eyes remained closed. "Oh, that was nice. Would you do that again, please?"

Groaning, I crushed her to me as well as I could in our confined space, kissing her more deeply, reveling in the feel of her. She gave back as much as she took, then something changed. She pushed against me. I broke the kiss, but still held her close.

"Edward?"

"Hmmmm?"

"I think I'm going to be sick."

We had a few air sickness bags on board our private jets and I found one quickly in the side pocket of my seat. Isabella got it opened just in time.

Well, so much for my kissing expertise! I knew it was the turbulence that had gotten to her and not my sexual prowess. I rubbed her back to comfort her.

Once she felt a bit better, she kept whispering, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

"Isabella, it's quite all right," I assured her. Now that the plane had leveled out and the rocking had stopped, I told her she was safe to go into the restroom to freshen up. She took me up on my offer and headed in that direction.

I got up as well while she was in the restroom to get her a Sprite with some ice from the small bar we kept stocked on the plane. I had that ready for her when she returned. She smiled at me gratefully and took a large sip. We refastened our seatbelts to prepare for landing.

Once we safely landed, I called my parents and let them know Isabella would be coming for dinner. They thought that would be fantastic as Alice and Jasper were joining them as well!

Weekday traffic being what it is, it took quite a while to get to the house from the airport. I had started completing some work on my laptop computer while we were waiting in traffic, but then I noticed Isabella slumped beside me with her head resting on my shoulder. Her being sick earlier must've taken the starch right out of her. I set my laptop aside and nestled her into my arms.

Sam looked into the rear view mirror, smiled, and said, "I think change is in the air for you, Edward. It looks good on you." Sam and I had always had a friendly relationship; I just grinned back at him.

I woke Isabella up with a kiss to her temple once we arrived at the house. She was surprised she had fallen asleep.

She was excited to see my parents again and also to see Alice. Once Alice ascertained that I had indeed taken good care of Isabella, all was right with the world. I think I rolled my eyes in their general direction. As if I would do anything less! Alice Brandon was not someone to be trifled with – she was just about as intimidating as I was – albeit in a much smaller form.

After a dinner of baby greens salad, parmesan-crusted chicken, garlic mashed potatoes, green beans, and chocolate lava cake, I took Isabella on a tour of the house. She declared she would need one of those "you are here" maps set up at strategic locations throughout.

Then I took her to my separate quarters. Each family member had their own separate space away from the rest of the family that had a living room, study, bedroom, and bathroom. My space was decorated in blues and browns – very masculine and tailored.

"Well," Isabella said as she twirled around slowly in the space, "it doesn't look like any women live here – or are even invited here!"

I caught up with her and snaked my arm around her waist and said, "Only you, Isabella. What changes would you like to make?"

She thought for a moment and then said, "None. I'd like to just see you in your environment. This looks like you."

My heart soared like a teenager when I kissed her and said roughly, "I wish you could spend the night."

"Maybe another time; there's work tomorrow," practical Isabella, the woman after my own heart, said. She kissed me back gently and continued, "I'd best go find Alice and make our way home for the evening. Walk me out?"

I did just that, located Alice with Jasper, installed both women in the car with Sam, and said good night to both of them. Tomorrow would be the first full day of our new relationship!

No comments:

Post a Comment