Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Saddle Up Your Heart - Chapter 12



Disclaimer: I don't own Twilight, but I'm grateful to Stephenie Meyer for her dream/vision. Please don't steal my original work.

"And ye shall serve the Lord your God, and he shall bless thy bread, and thy water; and I will take sickness away from the midst of thee." ~ Exodus 23:25

Edward POV

Our life in Washoe Valley, Nevada, was rich and full – especially since Edward Anthony Cullen, Jr. was born seven months ago. And I'm proud to say, my bride is in the family way yet again. That little boy is the light of all our lives. There is rarely a moment when he's put down except for the night to sleep. Bella is quick to point out every little feature which looks exactly like me. I'm sincerely praying the next one is a girl who looks exactly like her beautiful mother.

Since my own grandparents passed away when I was very young, I was never able to develop a relationship with them, but Gran definitely fills that role for me. I never knew there was so many ways for her to call me "Dee." I can tell just by her tone of that one-syllable nickname if I'm in trouble in some way, if I've hurt Bella's feelings, if she needs help with something, or she's just calling my attention to something. I adore Gran – pure and simple. Even though I'm much taller than she is, I still accept every single one of her hugs and feel like a little boy when she hugs me.

I've also finally got it through my thick skull courting didn't stop with the wedding. Oh no – courting will go on for the rest of my life. A little while after we were married, I'd find Bella sad for no reason, so I asked her what was wrong. She replied, "Nothing." I knew that wasn't really the answer. I dug a little deeper and found out she actually liked those little expressions of affection I left her at the school house in the mornings before she got there. So I began doing those things again – not every day, but randomly – and not always in the morning. At times I'd find some nice desert flower at the edge of the ranch I thought she might like in the middle of the day and bring it to her. Any expression of courting on my part always brought a return from her – a kiss, a favorite dessert, a massage for my aching muscles – so I was definitely going to keep up my end of the courting process!

The Cullen and Cooper ranches were so successful, Garrett and I each had to hire additional men. I chose to hire Sam Uley and Paul Davis after I rode Bear down to the assay office to wire Mike in Virginia City to have him do a thorough background check on each of them. Since they were both middle-aged men, I doubted anything negative would come back on either one. Sam had lost his wife and son during childbirth many years before and had never remarried; Paul was a confirmed bachelor. They were both very respectful of Bella and Gran. I wouldn't have it any other way. They also doted on Anthony, as we'd come to call our son, when they came to the house for meals.

Sam was gifted with metal working and came up with the idea for our cattle brand. Garrett had already chosen a plain "C" for his cattle, so I couldn't have the same. One evening after dinner, Sam was drawing on some paper and came up with a simple outline of a swan with a "C" inside its body near its tail feathers. We were all very enthusiastic about the design. He felt sure he could make a brand out of it. Our ranch would never be named the Swan-Cullen Ranch, but it was a unique way of including Bella and Gran.

As I looked out on Washoe Lake from our ranch on this nice autumn day, I could sense winter would soon be upon us. I knew Sam and Paul preferred to sleep in the barn, but I wanted to construct a bunkhouse attached to the side of the barn which would house a heat source along with room for up to four ranch hands. Sam and Paul had already weathered one winter in the barn, but one never knew if the weather would be quite as mild this next winter. The Old Farmer's Almanac was fairly reliable, but northern Nevada was famous for strange weather throughout a given day.

I went to a neighbor's house on the other side of us who I normally didn't visit, but we were still friendly. I asked if I could borrow a saw and an extra hammer. Seeing the time of day, they asked if I would join them for lunch. I agreed and then set off back toward home with the borrowed tools.

After a span of about four or five days, Paul, Sam and I had the bunkhouse nearly finished, including a small fireplace at one end. Bella and Gran were busy making quilts for each bed. The inside of the bunkhouse wasn't fancy. The door was at the near end, the beds were bunked along each wall, and there was additional room for each resident to keep a trunk of belongings or clothing. Near the fireplace was a small window for ventilation and to add some light during the day.

After my beautiful bride provided a wonderful dinner and we sat talking afterward in the sitting room, I rubbed my head. I was not one who was prone to get headaches very often.

"Edward," Bella said, her voice laced with concern, "What is it?"

"It's just a headache, love. I'm sure it will be gone by morning. Shall we prepare for bed?" I asked.

Anthony was already asleep for the night. We doused the oil lamps and made our way toward the bed. Bella stopped and retrieved a cold washcloth for my head. She was such a good and caring wife. I kissed her soundly and rubbed her protruding belly as I pulled her next to me to sleep for the night.

In the morning I woke to find my head felt no better. That was strange. I looked over to find Bella's side of the bed empty – another strange occurrence. Normally we rose at the same time each morning. What time was it? I looked for my pocket watch on the night stand beside the bed and brought it up so my eyes could focus on it. 7:30 a.m.? I'd never slept this late since we'd had the ranch! I needed to get up. I attempted to do just that and felt a wave of nausea come over me like I'd never felt before and groaned. Then I cleared my throat. Where had this sore throat come from?

I must've been pretty loud as Bella came to the closed door and tentatively asked, "Edward?"

"Yes," I replied and then flopped back down onto the pillow.

She opened the door and asked, "How are you feeling?"

"Not well," I responded, covering my eyes with my forearm. I felt feverish and I flung the covers off my heated chest.

Since I'd been married, I'd either forgone my union suit completely when I slept or stripped it down to my waist before getting into bed. Last night had been the latter.

I heard Bella's voice catch in her throat and a small cry of, "Oh!" tore through her parted lips. She was staring at me. I looked down at my own uncovered chest. I was developing red spots on my chest and stomach.

She ran out of the bedroom and it sounded as if she was speaking to Gran. Sure enough, within a few moments, Gran was in our bedroom, right next to the bed, looking at my naked chest. If I didn't feel bad enough already, I might feel embarrassed as well.

The next thing I knew, Gran was leading Bella out of the room and gathering up some of her dresses, as well as some of Anthony's clothes as well. What was going on?

"Bella," Gran said seriously, looking only at her, "I want you and Anthony to go to Garrett and Kate's and stay there until I come get you. When you get there, have Garrett or one of his men ride to the assay office and wire Dr. Cullen to come immediately. Edward is ill and needs him. And then all of you need to pray, baby girl – just pray."

I wanted to protest. I truly did. If anything could make me feel better, it would be Bella surrounding me with herself and her love. I didn't want to be away from her or Anthony.

Bella stifled a sob, took one last, long look at me and then was gone. Anthony was gurgling to himself out in the kitchen. A short while later, I heard the front door close softly; then I realized I could no longer hear Anthony.

I must've fallen asleep – I was so tired, but woke up to capable hands placing cool cloths on my feverish chest. I didn't open my eyes as I could tell it was still light outside and I couldn't take the stabbing pain in my eyes.

I made a grab for the hands moving capably about my chest. "Bella?" I croaked.

"No, Dee. It's Gran," the voice said soothingly.

"Bella," my raw throat croaked out again. "Where is she? I need to get to her."

"She's fine," the voice replied. "She and Anthony are at the Cooper's. You're not going anywhere."

I cracked open one eye and looked at Gran and then shut it again from the influx of light. "Who is Anthony?"

"Oh my," Gran said quietly. "Dear Lord, please send Dr. Cullen on the fastest horse in Virginia City." I went back to sleep after Gran helped me take a sip of the water on the night stand.

I woke up some time later to a cool stethoscope being placed on my chest. "Dad?" I croaked wearily.

"Yes, son, it's me," he said as he laid one of his hands across my brow.

"What's wrong with me?"

"I'm not certain yet. I'm going to talk with Gran and get more information. I'll be back," he said.

I could hear snatches of conversation out in the dining room. Gran was speaking, "About a week ago…building the bunk house…borrowed some tools from a neighbor…he wasn't home for lunch…told us he ate over there. And now this – that's the only thing that's been different."

My father asked a few more questions and then the front door shut. I must've fallen asleep again because I woke up in a panic. Where was I? Whose room was this? "Help!" I called out.

Gran came bustling in. "Dee, what is it?"

"Where am I?" I asked.

"You're on your ranch – in your very own bed." She came to the side of the bed and held my hand. I understood the words she was saying. They just didn't seem to make sense. I owned a ranch? I didn't know what was wrong with me, but I hoped it would pass soon.

Dad was back later. I heard him speaking with Gran and two other people with deep voices in the dining room again. It was strange I knew this house but I didn't know this room. I decided it was better to keep my eyes closed and think about Bella when I wasn't sleeping. Why wasn't she here? I couldn't wait to make her my wife. I had such a bright future mapped out for us.

Dad entered the room I was in again. "Edward," he said, "I've been to see the neighbors you went to visit about a week ago. They already had another doctor in to visit them. One of their family members has passed away."

"What?" I said, shocked.

"Yes," he affirmed. "After consulting with the other doctor, it appears you have typhus. It is a life-threatening disease of the intestinal system. Typhoid fever is spread when the bacteria is 'shed' by infected people who handle food or fluids without washing their hands after using the outhouse. Your symptoms will include sore throat, fever, headache, nausea, and loss of appetite. Some severe cases also have delirium and it can cause death. It normally lasts about three to four weeks. But you are strong, Edward. I know you can beat this."

"Dad," I managed weakly as I felt tears spring from my eyes and run down the sides of my face.

"I'm here for you until you're well again. I'm not going anywhere unless it's to update Bella on your condition. Gran is making some broth for you which I hope you're able to eat. It will help to flush the toxins out of your body," he said.

"How is Bella? I can't wait to marry her," I said adamantly.

"Son, you're already married to Bella, you have a handsome son named Anthony, and another baby on the way. You own this successful ranch. That's why you need to get well. You have everything to live for. Rest now until Gran comes in with your broth," he replied.

Now that Dad knew what I had, Sam and Paul weren't off-limits to my room. After about two weeks, I welcomed their short visits every other day when I was awake. I was glad to have such faithful workers. I was still so tired and needed a lot of rest. The delirium had finally left me and I knew where I was and seemed to have all my faculties about me again. The ache in my chest had not let up as Bella and Anthony weren't allowed to come back to the house until I was completely well.

I looked over at the night stand where a daisy was resting in a glass of water. I pulled the piece of paper lying beside it toward me to read the words again: My dearest Edward, Every day I pray for your full recovery as I long to hold you in my arms again. Anthony misses his daddy as well. He asks several times a day for "dada" and it breaks my heart to tell him we can't see you just yet. Your dad has been over to the Cooper's everyday to give us an update on your condition and then we pray yet again. I'm sure Gran is taking very good care of you, but I want to be the one taking care of my husband. I know your dad and Gran are keeping me and the baby away as a precaution. I hope you accept this small token of "courting" from me even though I'm not as good at it as you are, my darling husband. I will love you always, Bella.

I had to get better – for her, for us, for our future together.

Finally the day came when I could get out of bed for more than a few moments. I got up and ate a normal dinner with Gran, Dad, Sam, and Paul. The rest of the house never looked so good! After dinner, I sat by the fire and talked with everyone for a bit. It felt so right and so normal, I almost couldn't believe it. Gran was gone for a moment as she changed the sheets on my bed, but then she was back, joining in the conversation as if she'd never left.

The next day, I was up at the normal time and surprised Gran by helping her gather the eggs from the chickens. There was definitely a chill coming. It was a good thing the bunk house was finished.

After breakfast, I went with Dad to the neighbor's to express my condolences over the loss of their family member. They explained they had improved their cleanliness methods and were sorry for any illness they caused me. I thanked them, but frankly was just glad to have it over and done with.

A few more days went by and I was firmly back in the saddle and my regular duties. It was time to go get Bella. After lunch, I picked a bouquet of black-eyed Susans from the backyard and carried them down the road to the Cooper's. Did I look like a man in love? I didn't care – I wanted and needed my wife back – now.

Bella was sitting on the porch with Kate with the babies playing at their feet. I could see them as their house angled toward the road. I couldn't wait to hold her face in my hands again. I couldn't wait to kiss her beautiful, plump lips again.

I must've caught her attention somehow, even though I didn't wave or do anything out of the ordinary. She jumped up immediately and began running toward me. As soon as I saw she was running in my direction, I began running toward her. I couldn't get to her fast enough. We met somewhere in the middle of the road, my arms going around her immediately and my head dipped down so my lips were branding hers hotly. I didn't care if we were the talk of the neighborhood for weeks.

When I found my voice, I said, "I missed you, Mrs. Cullen."

"Oh, Edward, I've missed you, too – so much!" she cried.

"These are for you, love," I said, offering her the flowers. And there it was – that beautiful blush on her cheeks that I'd been missing for weeks now.

"Thank you!" she gushed as she dipped her nose in to smell them.

"Are you ready to come home?" I asked. She nodded and we continued on to the Cooper's.

I updated Garrett and Kate on my condition and invited them and their men for a celebration dinner that evening. Bella gathered her things. I carried Anthony who was smiling and babbling about "dada" over and over and we made our way home.

My dad would be leaving in the morning now that I was cured from my bout with typhus. I hoped to never encounter something like that again. It was horrible. Gran groused good-naturedly about having extra people for dinner, but now that Bella and Anthony had returned, she was happy as a clam.

After dinner was over and the extra company had gone, Bella and I were the only ones left in the sitting room. Anthony had gone to bed earlier. He'd been quite entertaining during dinner, but kept fighting a losing battle with his heavy eyes.

I got up from my chair near the fireplace and pulled Bella to me. I softly hummed a tune – from where, I couldn't remember – and danced her around, holding her close. Feeling Bella's head lying against my chest as she swayed against me was divine.

"Feeling romantic tonight, are you, Edward?" she asked softly.

"I am, love," I replied in between humming. Then I danced her right into our bedroom so we could continue what we'd started.

Author's Notes:

I don't know how other fan fiction authors write their chapters, but mine usually start with a conversation with Edward (or Bella) and me in my head. The majority of this chapter began at 3 a.m. one morning. I personally am a big fan of sleeping at 3 a.m. Edward – not so much, apparently.

From my online research: Typhoid fever is a life-threatening disease of the intestinal system caused by the typhoid bacillus, Salmonella typhosa, which lives only in humans who carry it in their bloodstream and intestinal tract. Typhoid fever is spread when the bacteria is "shed" by infected people who handle food or fluids without washing their hands, or when sewage carrying the bacteria contaminates water, milk, and other foods. Although relatively rare since the advent of vaccines and improvement of public sanitation (about 400 cases are reported annually in the United States, 70% of which are acquired through international travel), typhoid fever was once common and still arises in impoverished areas of the world where squalid conditions prevail and medical treatment is unavailable. Symptoms of the disease become evident within one to two weeks after infection and include sore throat, fever, headache, nausea, and loss of appetite, which are sometimes followed by the appearance of red spots on the chest and abdomen and, in severe cases, delirium and death. As the bacteria invade the intestines, they cause ulcerations and bleeding. This can lead to holes in the intestines and the bacteria can invade the bloodstream and sometimes spread to the bone marrow or spinal cord causing meningitis. The fever generally lasts three to four weeks and then subsides.

Antibiotics were not discovered until 1928 by an Englishman, Sir Alexander Fleming. Thank the British for that (and Robert Pattinson, too, of course)!

No comments:

Post a Comment