Sunday, July 3, 2011

Saddle Up Your Heart - Chapter 9



Disclaimer: I don't own Twilight, but I'm grateful to Stephenie Meyer for her dream/vision. Please don't steal my original work.

Thank you to Breaking Dawn for my paraphrased version of Edward's dinner-time speech to Charlie.


"Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) that it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth." ~ Ephesians 6:2-3

BPOV

My heart was positively singing. I was finally engaged to Edward! He'd done it so romantically – involving the children! I wanted him to take me into the field near the church and spin me around until we were both dizzy since I couldn't contain my happiness, but that wouldn't happen. I was stuck in this bed until my leg healed. Now I must be hearing things, so great was my love for him. It sounded like Edward's voice in the hallway after coming up the stairs, speaking with someone. What was he doing back? He was going to work just a bit ago. Not that I'd ever complain about spending one more moment with him. My imagination must be getting the better of me.

Then, there he was at the door. "Bella," he said with a smile, "your parents and grandmother have arrived." He had told me he sent them a telegram informing them of my foiled kidnapping and injuries. My face had completely healed, but bones take a lot longer. I looked at him in confusion until Edward stepped aside and my father's frame filled the doorway.

"Papa?" I asked in disbelief. I couldn't believe he was actually here, in Virginia City of all places. But there he was, chestnut brown hair slicked back with oil like always and mustache firmly in place, wearing a black suit and white shirt. He came into the room and my mom followed, her lighter brown hair swept up into the fashion of the day, wearing a yellow dress with a black and white striped inset at the bodice with a matching hat which I'm certain was the current rage in Chicago. "Mom?" And behind her bustled in the most welcome sight I could ever see, a pleasantly plump woman with light brownish gray hair in a bun who was wearing a pinstripe blouse with a dark blue skirt. "Gran!"

The last person – my beloved Gran – came over and enveloped me in a hug. It was like butter melting on one of Rachel's warm biscuits – it was so very comforting. After Gran released me, my parents came over for a hug. Sometime during the greetings, Edward dismissed the children for the day as it appeared any further education for the day was abandoned.

Papa started in immediately, "As soon as you're healed, Bella, you're coming back to Chicago with us. The west is entirely too dangerous for a girl on her own."

I could see Edward open his mouth to protest out of the corner of my eye, but I objected faster, "Papa, I want to make a life here in Nevada."

"That's ridiculous," he stated. He looked around the room and saw Edward still standing there. "I don't think you need to be here, sheriff. This is family business."

Gran was standing closest to Edward and she interrupted, "I believe he does. He's practically family."

"Mother," Papa said, "I can't believe I'm saying this, but you're finally going senile."

Gran puffed out her chest and responded, "Charlie Swan, I am highly offended that my only child speaks to me in that manner. Don't do it again. For a judge, you are so obtuse."

Papa mumbled something about being sorry, and then continued, "I suppose there is not a decent place to stay in this town."

Dr. Cullen came in the room at that point and said, "As a matter of fact, the International Hotel is right across the street. I would think the accommodations would be to your liking."

Papa and Mom made their preparations to leave my room. "We need to rest after our journey and come see you again after lunch, if you're not too tired," Papa said to me. He nodded in Edward and Dr. Cullen's direction. "Are you coming, Mother?" Dr. Cullen followed them out.

Gran said, "Yes, I'll be down in just a minute."

After my parents left, I finally let out a deep breath. When did the air become so stiff and formal?

Gran came and sat beside me on the bed. "So," she said, looking at Edward who was near the door, "is this your young man?"

I looked tenderly at him and said, "Yes."

Gran looked at Edward again and exclaimed, "He is handsome!" This made him blush. I was glad not to be the only one! She continued, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Edward."

He came over to shake her hand and said, "How do you do, ma'am?"

Gran let out an unladylike snort and replied, "None of that 'ma'am' stuff for me. We're practically family. Call me Gran!" She leaned toward him conspiratorially and said, "Please tell me you finally got your head screwed on straight and asked her to marry you."

Edward said, "Yes – just moments before you arrived. I'm pleased to say she accepted. Although, I get the feeling her father won't seem very keen on the idea."

Gran stood up then and hugged Edward, earning another blush from him. She said, "We'll give Charlie some time to get used to the idea. Just leave that to me." She turned back to give me a kiss and then was out of the room to join my parents.

After she was gone, Edward drew a wood chair up beside my bed once again and sat in it. He definitely had something on his mind.

"What is it?" I asked, my fingertips skimming over the back of his hand.

"Well, the property we just bought – not only does it have a huge house, but it also has a little cottage on it. Now that I've met your Gran, I think it's the right thing to do. But I want to ask your opinion. Some men go into marriage thinking they are the lord and master over their households, but I don't want that. I want our marriage to be a partnership, Bella. Your opinion matters just as much as mine and then we'll weigh the options. Anyway, if she's agreeable to it, I'd like your Gran to move with us after we're married. She can have her own little house so she doesn't have to be with two disagreeable newlyweds."

I couldn't stop the tears from coming. "What's wrong, love?" he asked. "Is it your leg? Do I need to go get my dad?"

"No," I managed when my tears quieted. "That is the sweetest thing I could've ever imagined hearing you say, besides proposing to me. She always says she's too old for an adventure, but I'd like to ask her to consider it."

And then I was in his arms and his soft lips were kissing my jaw near my ear, then my cheek, then the corner of my mouth. He made a strangled sob sort of sound and then pulled away. "I can't let your father take you away from me, love." He squeezed my hand while looking into my eyes, put on his hat, and then strode out the door.

The next evening, Dr. Cullen determined the Swan family would be guests at his home for dinner, me included. One of the female surgical assistants helped me dress in a simple pink blouse and a black skirt. It was so good to get out of bed and into real clothes! I felt as if I'd been wearing nightclothes and a robe for years.

Edward was assigned to carry me the short distance to their house under Dr. Cullen's direction, although I knew he wouldn't drop me. I took the opportunity to admire the strength in his muscled arms and back as he carefully carried me the distance. On the way, I attempted to play with the hair at the nape of his neck. "Bella," he whispered, "Unless you want me to carry you to Pastor Webber right now, you have to stop." Oh! I blushed and kept my hand still on his neck.

With my leg securely propped up on a stool, the Cullen home was just as welcoming to me as it was during the Christmas season. My parents seemed to tolerate Alice's chatter, but Gran got along with her famously as I knew she would.

Dinner was almost finished when Edward spoke to my father across the table, "Judge Swan, I've asked Bella to marry me. I realize that's not the traditional way. I should've asked you first. I mean no disrespect, but since Bella has already said yes and I don't want to diminish her choice in the matter, instead of asking you for her hand, I'm asking you for your blessing. I love her more than anything, and by some miracle, she loves me too. Will you give us your blessing?"

"Now, listen here, Sheriff Cullen," Charlie started. "Bella needs to be at home with her family. I've put up with her head-strong ways long enough."

"I understand you want your daughter near you as she's very special. But she's grown into a lovely young woman out here in Nevada," Edward said.

"Papa," I interjected, "would you deny me my heart's desire? I want to marry Edward. I love him."

Charlie thundered back, "Bella, you're barely twenty years old! You don't know what your heart wants!"

Gran said as she scooped another bite of berry cobbler onto her spoon, "Is it? I remember, Charlie Swan, you were chasing after Renee when you were barely twenty!"

"That's different," he said quickly, but seemed to lose some of his bluster.

Gran spoke again after she swallowed her cobbler, "It's not, Charlie. Edward and Bella are in love and they should be allowed to marry. Give them your blessing. Stop being so grumpy about it or I'll have to ask Mrs. Cullen where she stores her frying pans."

At that, Alice giggled and I had to join in. The tension in the room finally dissipated and Papa begrudgingly gave his blessing. Edward squeezed my hand and smiled in celebration.

Mom did not become excited about the upcoming nuptials until after Papa gave his blessing. She definitely was not in one of those partnership marriages like Edward suggested.

Due to my recovery, it sounded like my wedding would be planned by everyone else but me. I'd stick with my limited teaching schedule and continue to heal so I could walk down the aisle.

One day near lunchtime, Gran had come to see me to let me know she had met with Angela Cheney at the general store to put a rush order on my wedding gown. Knowing the Swan family, it was going to be something I would never be able to wear again.

Soon, Rachel arrived with lunch and Edward in tow. "Oh!" she exclaimed, "I didn't realize your Gran was here! Well, you know I made plenty, so go ahead and help yourself." Rachel and Gran had obviously met when they were out and about in town at some point.

While we were eating, Edward said, "Gran, Bella and I would like to ask you something."

"Go ahead," Gran said.

Edward explained, "I don't know if Bella told you or not, but after we're married, we're not going to stay in Virginia City. We've bought a cattle ranch in Washoe Valley, which is a couple of hours ride from here. The ranch has a large main house on it and it also has a smaller cottage on it. We were wondering if you'd like to move with us when we go."

Gran giggled like a schoolgirl. "You want me to move with you newlyweds? You don't say!"

"We do, Gran!" I said encouragingly.

Gran said, "You know I always say I'm done with my adventures in life, but I just may be up for one more. I like this countryside out here. It's so open and you can smell the fresh air. You can't do that much anymore in Chicago."

I asked, "So, will you do it, Gran?"

She gave her classic unladylike snort and said, "I believe I will. I can't wait to tell those old crows back in Chicago I'm living with the most handsome rancher in Nevada – and his wife!"

We all laughed and Edward blushed again. Gran would definitely keep him on his toes.

Before my abbreviated school term ended for the year, I asked Alice and Rosalie if they would be flower girls at my wedding. They were thrilled. Emmett would be my ring bearer. Jasper would serve as an usher.

The day Dr. Cullen took my cast off was a very happy day for me. Edward wanted to be there, but I told him "no." If I faltered during my first steps, I didn't want him to become worried and come to my rescue immediately. I needed to be able to do this on my own. As it turned out, it was only Dr. Cullen and a surgical assistant in the room. Each day, I was able to walk a little more and by the end of the week, I was as good as new and back to staying at the boarding house.

Mayor Hale came to meet with me at the boarding house one day and deliver my final month's pay. "Thank you for being an excellent teacher this year, Bella. I'm very regretful for the trouble my nephew caused. I'm also sad to say we'll have to start a search for a teacher as wonderful as you for the next school term. Thank goodness I can just promote Mike to the sheriff position so that is filled. I wish you and Edward all the happiness in the world!"

I gave him a small hug and then went back to helping the ladies in the quilting circle work on the quilt for Edward and me. I was glad I was given the opportunity to work on it. Gran and Mom were assisting with it as well.

Gran had sent word back to Chicago to ship some of her things that she would need here in Nevada and they arrived by crate, along with some other items for my trousseau. I didn't dare ask what they were. I'd seen Gran and Mom admiring some filmy lacy negligee that I was to wear on my wedding night and I blushed at the thought.

The night before our wedding, Edward sat with me on the porch of the boarding house after we had dinner with both our families. Gran was inside speaking with Rachel and helping her prepare tomorrow's menu.

Edward's hand grasped mine as he said, "Tomorrow, love, I finally get to kiss you. Do you know how long I've waited to taste those lips of yours?"

"No," I teased, "do tell."

"I believe it's been since some pretty young thing fell out of a stagecoach on the main street of this fine town right into my arms," he replied.

"Oh, you!" I admonished with a laugh and squeezed his hand.

He pulled me up into a hug and confessed he'd rented a honeymoon suite at the International Hotel after our wedding reception. I gasped at the expense, but he said it didn't matter. I told him; once again, he was incorrigible. He just grinned.

As I went to bed that night after packing up all my worldly goods, I could barely stop humming to myself, smiling, and thinking, "I'm getting married in the morning!"

No comments:

Post a Comment