Friday, November 25, 2011

Heaven in the Real World - Chapter 1 (September)

Disclaimer: I don't own Twilight, but I'm grateful to Stephenie Meyer for her dream/vision.

Edward POV


The enticing aromas coming from the boardinghouse breakfast table were tantalizing my nose this morning. Thankfully, Jeremiah Stanley must've felt the same as his blessing of the meal was short. The hot pancakes with golden maple syrup and churned butter, fluffy yellow scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, and thick crisp bacon were loaded onto plates around the table as we all dug in with gusto.

Most of those gathered around the table were miners who worked in the gold mine in our small town of Gold Run, California. Rounding out the table were Jeremiah and Virginia Stanley, who owned The Stanley House boardinghouse, along with their daughter, Jessica.

I must've been engrossed in inhaling as much good food as possible as I soon felt Jessica's hand on my arm. "Edward, haven't you heard a thing I've said?"

"Pardon me, Jessica. It appears I have not," I said as I finished swallowing a bite of food.

She said, "I was saying, I may have some free time available later if you'd like to go for a walk." I had to refrain from sighing. Jessica was forever trying to get me to spend time with her and court her since she was 22 to my 26 years of age. I simply was not interested. Since my wife, Angela, died in childbirth three years ago along with our child, I hadn't been in a hurry to find another wife. I knew the good Lord would provide one in His time if He felt that's what I needed.

I responded, "I'll see what my time is like later today. I don't want to make a promise I can't keep." I went back to my savory breakfast as I heard her huff quietly in frustration beside me. I wanted to chuckle in amusement.

Other conversations were going on around the table when I heard Virginia whisper to her daughter, "Honestly, dear, you need to stop chasing after Mr. Cullen."

With that, Jessica picked up her plate from the table, pushed her chair back, and swished off to the kitchen in a flurry of skirts. I looked over at Virginia, who looked back apologetically with a wink and we finished our breakfast.

After breakfast, I walked down the dusty main street in this beautiful September day in 1866 to my store. Angela and I had come west five years ago, to the dismay of our families, to open a general store. My parents said I'd never be successful, but I'd done pretty well for myself. I wasn't the richest man in town by any means, but I was happy.

Suddenly, a little boy came darting out between two buildings, fat tears dripping down his face. He spied me and came running over.

"Mistah Cullen," he said between the gaps of his missing teeth, "can you help me? My kitty is up a tree and I can't get her down."

Taking my handkerchief out of my pocket and drying his tears, I said, "Yes, I can help. Where's your mother?"

"Gettin' my sistahs ready for school," he said, bottom lip still quivering.

"All right," I said, taking his hand in mine and we walked in the direction of the kitten and tree. Along the way, I borrowed a ladder from the side of a building.

He stopped me in front of a small tree and I could see the grey kitten lounging against a branch just out of my reach. I would be able to reach her easily with the aid of the ladder if she didn't move up any further. How is it cats could look at home in almost any environment?

As I placed the ladder against the tree and began to climb, the kitten appraised me with her eyes. "Here, kitty, kitty," I said soothingly. As my hand drew closer to her, she stood up and stretched. Then she sniffed my hand and must've not felt any danger. I drew her into the crook of my arm and spoke softly to her. I was rewarded with a loud purr.

I carefully made my way back down the ladder and gave the contented kitten back to her owner. I loved seeing the smile on his little face, even if he was minus a few teeth. In that moment, I was missing being a father something fierce. "Thanks, Mistah Cullen," the boy said as he raced away, kitten firmly in hand.

As I replaced the ladder and continued on to the store, I looked down at myself. I brushed a few scuff marks off my black trousers and white shirt. My black string tie was still tied around my neck. I didn't look any worse for the wear after my unplanned side trip.

Wearing one of my worn shopkeeper's aprons, I swept off the boardwalk in front of the store. I looked up and saw my favorite two old codgers coming down the street toward me.

Aro and Marcus usually spent their days in the chairs I placed outside the store, playing checkers or just gossiping like old women. I was tempted to think their wives kicked them out of their homes everyday just to have some time away from them, but I never asked. They usually provided some much-needed levity for me and some of my customers, so I didn't mind the distraction.

In this small town, I was the proprietor of the only general store within quite a distance. There were a few saloons, a church, a blacksmith with a livery attached, a barbershop, a medical clinic, a bank, and a newly-erected telegraph office. The town was waiting for our new telegraph officer to arrive any day now. Mr. Isaiah M. Swan from Arizona was to be taking over that position as soon as he arrived with his brother.

There were farmers and ranchers in the area. Most of the men who lived near the settlement were here for the gold mining. There weren't many women who lived in this neck of the woods and certainly none by themselves. It just wasn't done. Some of the farmers and ranchers were married and I only saw their wives and children on their infrequent trips to town. The women who lived in town shopped in my store more frequently, of course.

Since I had put everything in order inside my store the night before, I stood out on the walkway and watched as Aro and Marcus sat down and placed their markers for their first checkers game of the day.

Marcus took a long drink from the coffee cup he brought with him and spoke first, "Morning, Edward. I hear the new telegraph operator is coming today. Aro and I had to help change beds in the living quarters yesterday, with two brothers coming instead of a married couple. Darn inconvenient." He rubbed his lower back as if the effort of the day before was still paining him.

Aro spoke up next, "I wonder if the other Swan brother has a firm offer from one of the ranchers to work on their ranch. Seems like he'd do better working in the mine."

"Maybe mining isn't his calling," I added. I was glad for the telegraph operator's arrival. I would be able to move the mail to his office and add a display for selling additional items in the store.

The two grunted in agreement and got started on their game. I retreated into the store as the first customers of the day arrived.

I was busy throughout the day. Jessica begrudgingly brought me a lunch of a ham sandwich on thick-sliced sourdough bread with potato salad, baked beans and a sliced dill pickle when it was determined I was unable to get away from my duties at the store.

It was nearing the end of the workday and I was bringing the produce which hadn't sold throughout the day inside the store for the night. I looked up as I heard a wagon approach. I saw a dilapidated wagon filled with all manner of earthly belongings and two weary riders. As they got closer, I saw it was two men – one was built large and the other was slight.

The wagon stopped in front of the store and the larger man said to me, "Good evening. Could you tell me where the telegraph office is? We are the Swan brothers just arrived from Arizona. We'd like to get our things unloaded before nightfall."

I hurried down off the boardwalk to shake their gloved hands. "Hello and welcome to Gold Run! We've been waiting for you to arrive. I'm Edward Cullen. I run the general store," I said and then pointed to the two old codgers still sitting in front of the store, "these two are Aro and Marcus. We will help you unload."

"There's no need, Edward," the larger man spoke again. "By the way, I'm Emmett, and this is my brother – Isaiah." He indicated the slight-built man sitting next to him.

"We insist," I repeated and led them down the street a ways to where the telegraph office was situated.

Isaiah/Isabella POV

"I thought they would never leave!" I said to Emmett.

"I know, Bells," Emmett replied, using my favorite nickname our pa used to call me. I missed our parents so much. They had both perished in a fire in our barn in Arizona while we in town getting supplies. "Don't forget, you need to keep your hat on until Edward returns. He's bringing us dinner from the boardinghouse."

I sighed loudly. I wondered if this stupid charade was going to work. We'd stayed in Arizona as long as we could. I'd been able to learn about the telegraph system from a kind old gentleman in Phoenix who taught me everything he knew. Emmett had worked at a ranch until he'd been caught gambling with some of the other ranch hands. Then he'd been unceremoniously banished from there.

The man in Phoenix showed me other telegraph officer positions available in the newspaper and I'd quickly applied. Not one wanted a single woman. I'd come up with an alternate name – Isaiah – and answered the advertisement for Gold Run, California. I was offered the position at once.

Now, here I was, at 18 years old, being forced to look and act like a man every single moment I was out in public. I'd never be able to attend church as men were required to remove their hats inside the building. As it was at this very moment, my face was itching from the coffee grounds I'd rubbed on the lower half of my face and neck just outside of town to look like I had a shadow of whiskers.

Finally, Edward returned with our dinner and Emmett and I were able to eat without visitors. I was able to have my hair down for the first time that day. I couldn't wait to heat up some water on the stove and have a bath in the tin washtub just for that purpose.

The next morning, our living quarters were starting to look a little more home-like. Ma's old quilts covered the beds, there were rugs on the floor, I had hung some pictures – it was starting to look like someone actually lived here.

I was able to make a proper breakfast of bacon, eggs, biscuits, and coffee, after the nice lady from the boardinghouse had included those items along with our dinner. We had foodstuffs and I was hoping to be able to unpack them today in addition to getting the telegraph office up and running. No doubt Edward had other items I could purchase at the store.

Emmett rode out soon after breakfast to look for a job at one of the ranches. I started to work in the telegraph office. I put my hair up once again and wore it under a newsboy cap. The blasted coffee ground stains were in place on my face and neck. I was dressed in trousers and a loose-fitting shirt and jacket. Thanks to my small figure, no one could see that I was actually a woman.

And not a moment too soon, I discovered, as Edward came bounding through the office door. "Good morning, Isaiah!" he said in greeting with a smile.

"Morning, Edward," I responded, taking care to deepen my voice.

He seemed to focus on my hands as they were placing various office items in order. No, my hands weren't those of a man's. I did keep my nails short as would keep up the ruse, but there was no other way I could disguise my hands. When I'd shook his hand last night and as we worked, I'd kept an extra pair of Emmett's gloves on.

"Is there something I can assist you with?" I asked.

"Oh yes," he said as he seemed to remember what he came for. "I would like to move the mailboxes from the store to the telegraph office now you've arrived."

"Seems like a fine idea," I agreed.

"So," he looked at me quizzically, "you'll help me move them?"

"Yes, of course. Let me get my work gloves." I found them immediately and followed him out the door.

As we set about to move the solid mass of boxes, I grunted under the weight of them. "Isaiah," he said, "you'll have to get some weight on you in this mountain town. We'll just move these out to my wagon, and then the horse can move them down the street."

I flashed him a small grin and lifted again. If it was only going to be a short distance, I think I could manage it.

Finally, with us working together, the mailboxes were in their new location in my office and looked like they were made to be there. "Thank you, Isaiah. Have a pleasant day," Edward said as he gave me a grin that seemed to come out crooked.

Oh, Edward Cullen, you are going to be a problem, I thought to myself. I have never seen so much attractiveness in one man!

As I went to sit on the stool behind the counter, a severe pain shot through my abdomen and I cried out in pain. I didn't care if I sounded like a girl in that moment. I clutched my stomach and nearly vomited from the pain.

Barely two moments had passed and Edward was back through the door. "Isaiah? Are you well?"

My skin felt clammy. I was likely pale as a sheet. I just looked at him.

"Can you walk?" he asked. I attempted to stand up from the stool and nearly fell over. Then he scooped me up in his arms.

I hissed in my least-likely male voice, "What are you doing?"

"Taking you to the doctor, Isaiah. You are light as a feather," he responded.

He didn't carry me the way a man would carry a woman. He carried me the way a man would carry his brother. I was in too much pain to feed into any kind of fantasy my mind could conjure up at the moment and kept my arms from around his neck.

In only a few moments, we were at the medical clinic. Not that I'd noticed before that moment, but Edward had long legs which could carry him anywhere at a great rate of speed.

"Doc Black," Edward said, "this is Isaiah Swan, the new telegraph operator. He is having some pain." He gently laid me on the exam table in Doctor Black's office.

I clutched my abdomen again as soon as I was horizontal. I pointed weakly at Edward and said gruffly, "Edward, you need to go."

He glanced at Doctor Black and said, "I'll be at the store if you need anything." Then he was out the door, closing it behind him.

"Doctor Black," I said weakly, seeing that we were alone, "I need your absolute secrecy."

"Of course, Isaiah," he replied. I carefully lifted the newsboy cap from my head and removed the pins from my hair. Surprise radiated from every feature on his face. "You're…you're actually a woman?"

"Yes," I said. "I would appreciate it if you would keep that secret between us."

"Yes, certainly – doctor/patient confidentiality. What is your real name?" he asked.

"Isabella. I've just had a terrible slicing pain in my abdomen," I said.

"Let me examine you," he stated and got to work efficiently.

After his examination, he said, "I would like to do an exploratory surgery on you. It sounds as though you have had an ovarian cyst rupture. Is there anyone we can notify?"

"My brother, Emmett, is out looking for work at the surrounding ranches," I said tearfully.

Doctor Black patted my hand. "It's all right, Isabella. My wife, Leah, will go to the telegraph office to leave a note for him if he comes back in the middle of the day looking for you. Then she'll come back and assist with the surgery."

I was prepped for surgery and the next thing I knew was blessed blackness from the ether.

No comments:

Post a Comment