Friday, November 25, 2011

Heaven in the Real World - Chapter 2 (October)

Disclaimer: I don't own Twilight, but I'm grateful to Stephenie Meyer for her dream/vision.

Isaiah/Isabella POV


"Bye Bells. Have a good day," I heard Emmett say softly from the doorway to our living quarters before he shut the door behind him. I snuggled deeper under my quilts to get a few more hours of blessed sleep before my day started.

Emmett was able to secure a position as a ranch hand on the ranch of Levi and Ada Hale. I hadn't met them yet, but I was sure they were fine people.

Emmett was up and out the door long before sunrise. He was such a wonderful brother to me. He always made sure the fire in the cook stove was banked for me which also served to heat our living quarters. He also brought in fresh water before he left in the morning. I knew he likely ate hearty meals at the ranch – when he came home, he never complained about missing breakfast or lunch.

Doctor Black had determined the cyst on my ovary was large enough it could be removed safely during surgery. His careful and steady hands also removed a smaller cyst. Thankfully, he was able to keep my ovary intact so I would still have my monthly cycle and be able to bear children later.

Doctor Jacob Black and his wife Leah were the sweetest couple I'd met in this town thus far. Leah was expecting a baby within the next few months. It felt so good to be myself with them. Leah kept me fed well as I recovered from surgery. Emmett was worried sick right after surgery, but glad to see me on the road to recovery.

Now that time had passed into October, I'd finally unpacked all our belongings and our living quarters looked like a real home. I could take any item from the shelf and prepare a normal meal.

What proved to be more challenging was purchasing the items at the general store. Edward didn't feel a man should know his way around the foodstuffs. Did he have to be so narrow-minded? I heard briefly when passing Aro and Marcus during one of their checkers games Edward was from back East. Did he not know there were male chefs? And besides, his penny-colored hair would probably burst into flames if he knew I was actually a woman! The thought made me giggle silently to myself.

But then I thought – what would Edward's reaction be when he found out I was a woman? Would he be horrified? Would he be mad I'd deceived him and the rest of the town? One look into his handsome eyes – where I tried not to look too often and give myself away – and I knew I didn't want to disappoint him.

I loved this little town so much. I could see myself living here for a very long time. I wasn't certain how long I could keep up this deception I'd started. I was growing to love the people and the area. I wished I could attend church, but since men took off their hats in church that couldn't be for me. I spent my Sunday mornings reading my own Bible at home.

Speaking of Aro and Marcus, I sat down and chatted with them several times. They were actually very nice gentlemen. I think it makes Edward nervous for some reason and gets his goat.

In the telegraph office, Jessica came in with a jacket on, her skirts plentiful underneath. I hastily placed the quilt block I was currently working on underneath the counter. This town wasn't ready to see a "man" quilting! "Isaiah," she practically fawned, "good morning! How are you today?"

It was too easy to be gruff with her. I also wanted to roll my eyes, but refrained. "I'm well, Jessica. How are you and your parents?"

"Oh, we're all right as rain," she responded with a giggle and a flutter of her eyelashes.

Oh my stars! How did men put up with this? I'd seen girls flirt outrageously with Emmett before and it made me want to find the nearest outhouse so I could lose my latest meal. Jessica was no exception. Except now she was flirting with me – which made it ten times worse.

"You'll be coming to the Harvest Festival, won't you, Isaiah?" she asked.

I looked thoughtful for a moment, and then replied, "Oh, I suppose I will, if I don't have anything else going on that evening."

She looked soulfully into my eyes and said, "You simply must! And I hope you save a dance or two for me!"

Trying to divert her attention, I asked, rather flatly, "Is there something I can help you with today, Jessica?"

"Yes. I'm here to see if there's any mail for The Stanley House."

I gave her the mail addressed to the boardinghouse and she finally went on her way.

Dance with her? Was she crazy? This entire scheme had gotten entirely out of hand! I wondered if I could fake being sick. I suppose if I did, Edward would be over here, scooping me up and hauling me off to Doctor Black. I'd never live that down again. Tonight, I'd best ask Emmett to remind me of those dance steps Pa taught us when we were younger.

Edward POV

I stared out the window of the store and dragged my hand through my hair in frustration. Was Isaiah out there again talking to Marcus and Aro? What was his deal anyway? It irritated me to no end. Didn't he have work to do in the telegraph office? Isn't that why the town hired him?

Isaiah was in my store almost every day as it was – asking for various foodstuffs for cooking and then asking for the last of my summer vegetables and fruits for canning. I looked at him critically and informed him I knew of no men who canned fruits and vegetables. He gave a slight shrug and informed me his ma had to teach both his sons many things as she knew she wouldn't be having any daughters.

I wasn't sure why Isaiah Swan irritated me – just he did. Was it because he was younger than me? No, I seemed to get along fine with most of the other townspeople, no matter their age. He claimed to be a God-fearing man, but never attended church. That was odd. Perhaps it was because he sported a 5 o'clock shadow at 9 in the morning. There was just something "off" about the man. I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

I wanted to ask Isaiah to go to another store, but the closest one was in Auburn, which was about 25 miles away. That wasn't very neighborly of me and it would be quite an expedition for one trip to a general store.

Tonight was the Harvest Festival. I suppose I would be forced to dance with Jessica. I knew this was coming. It would just be dancing as friends. I would dance with plenty of other women – not just Jessica. People from the surrounding ranches and farms usually attended the Harvest Festival as it was a big community event featuring a potluck picnic, games, and ended with a dance.

As the late afternoon shadows descended, I locked up the store and walked toward the meadow near the church. It was the largest clearing in town to hold such a celebration. I helped set up long lengths of plywood over sawhorses to use as tables and bales of hay to use as seating in preparation for the potluck feast we'd all enjoy. As women came from various parts of town and in multiple wagons, the tables fairly groaned under all the weight of the food.

Then I spied Isaiah and Emmett coming toward the food table, Isaiah holding a cake plate. "What is that?" I demanded, pointing at the plate.

Isaiah said, "It's a fresh apple cake with a maple-flavored frosting, as if it's any of your business." He seemed to raise his nose in the air a bit, then thought better of it and placed the cake with the other desserts.

Emmett placed his hand on my shoulder and said, "My – brother – is a good cook. You should let him be."

"Hello Edward," Jessica said, coming up beside me. Spying Isaiah, she said, "Oh, Isaiah, you're already here – and you've baked a cake! That is simply divine! I've never known a man who could bake well!"

I almost snorted with laughter as I turned on my heel and walked away from the food tables. So, that was the way of it then? Jessica had moved on to Isaiah, had she? Well, good luck to the both of them. They were going to need it.

I watched some children's games in progress until the preacher called everyone's attention so he could give the blessing over the food so the townspeople could begin eating.

I assisted some of the elderly people with filling their plates and locating a place to sit. Then I took my own turn through the line.

Wouldn't you know it? Just as I was going through the line, on the other side were Isaiah and Emmett. When I came to the desserts, Isaiah gave me a look of defiance not to take a slice of his cake. I took a small slice, just to spite him.

Noticing a table sparsely populated, I made way in that direction. I couldn't wait to dig into the flavorful bounty certain to be filling my plate. As I bit into my first taste of fried chicken, I closed my eyes to enjoy every moment. By the time I opened my eyes again, I saw the Swan brothers were making ready to sit across from me.

Just then, the Stanley family arrived and sat beside us as well. I only had to contribute to the conversation when I could get a word in edgewise between Jessica, which wasn't very often.

I worked my way around my plate methodically and finally reached the dessert items. I looked up briefly and saw a look of challenge in Isaiah's eyes for me to take a bite of his cake and a look of something else – longing? The waning sunlight and lamplight must be playing with my vision. I looked down at my plate again and then back up. Only the look of challenge remained.

I shoved a forkful of the apple cake into my mouth and chewed. I was going to force it down even if it was the worst-tasting cake in town. To my surprise, it wasn't horrible. In fact, it was the most delicious cake I'd ever tasted! I looked back at Isaiah where I saw a smirk playing around his lips. Now he wanted to gloat. He actually had every right to – this cake was wonderful! I was hoping to take another pass by the buffet table and snag another slice.

The small band was tuning up now. We had several men who played guitars, a banjo, a violin, and harmonica. It was a nice mix. The area for dancing was set up well away from the eating area. It was surrounded by lanterns held up on tall posts so the dance "floor" was clearly defined. I sighed quietly and waited for Jessica to ask me for a dance.

My first offer surprised me, though. The little boy who had lost his kitten in the tree dragged his 10-year-old sister over to me. "Mistah Cullen," he said, "would you dance with my sister? She'd really like it."

I looked over at his sister, who was now blushing scarlet. "Would she now?" I asked, gently teasing.

"Yes," he affirmed. "She's been sayin' so all night."

"Oh, all right," I said and stood up. I looked over and saw couples now populating the dance floor. I bowed a little and said, "Miss Emma, may I have the pleasure of this dance?"

She nodded and tucked her little hand in mine as we walked toward the dancing. When we arrived, I picked her up in my arms and swung her around in time to the music. We had our arms sticking out to the side like a "real" couple. Emma was having a fun time, giggling as I swung her around to the fast song.

My heart gave another little twinge as it longed to be a father and have my own children. I stuffed the emotion down deep inside so I could enjoy this time with Emma. She was an adorable little girl who deserved all the happiness in the world.

As I delivered Emma back to her parents and kissed the back of her hand, she immediately flew to her mother's side and buried her face in her mother's skirts. I hoped I hadn't embarrassed her.

I walked back to my table to find Virginia Stanley to take a turn on the dance floor, if she wasn't already dancing with her husband, and discovered Jessica and Isaiah were already on their way there.

I also saw Emmett dancing with Rosalie Hale, the only daughter on Levi and Ada Hale's ranch. They appeared to be having a splendid time and didn't have eyes for anyone else.

After taking a few more turns on the dance floor, I decided to sit out the rest of the evening. It appeared Jessica was getting along well with Isaiah. Jessica was practically beaming. I couldn't help but be happy for them – another happy couple in our small town.

As the party was winding down, I took myself back home, locking the store's door behind me.

Lighting a lamp in my home above the store, I looked around, going into each room. There were three bedrooms in addition to the main living room and kitchen. Angela had made it beautiful before she had passed away and I'd kept it exactly that way. We were going to have two beautiful children and fill this house and make it a real home. Now that had been snatched away. I felt melancholy tonight and I didn't want to feel this way. I normally kept these feelings at bay by doing things for the community or working.

Why did it seem there was someone for everyone but me? I could only ask that question heavenward as I blew out the lamp beside my bed and slipped in between the cool sheets to drift into a dreamless sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment