Sunday, February 28, 2010

Seattle General - Chapter 18

Disclaimer: I don't own Twilight, but I'm grateful to Stephenie Meyer for her dream. Forgive me for using a bit of text from "New Moon," but it fits the story.
EPOV

Since the New Year began, my life had been total hell. The only bright spot had been the new addition to my life – my beautiful daughter, Victoria. Yes, we were still waiting on the "official" DNA results, but she was my daughter and I wasn't giving her up for anything. I was already fiercely protective.

I missed Bella like I would miss my right arm. I positively ached for her. All I wanted to do was take her in my arms, shower her with kisses, and apologize for whatever I might have done wrong – anything I could do to get her back in my life again. I knew I was mostly dead inside without her. I was only giving Victoria a little bit of what I truly could. But I didn't have anything more to give. The rest of me was carried with Bella.

When I got Bella's text on Wednesday night, I held my cell phone to my chest for hours until I finally fell asleep. I loved having that small connection to her – it was like a lifeline. I'd been crying myself to sleep every fucking night. I know that's a "chick" thing to say – but dammit – I needed her so damn bad I couldn't help myself.

BPOV

As I followed Alice back to Seattle on Thursday morning, I had a lot of time to think. I'd actually been doing a lot of thinking this past week. I was wrong, running from Edward and the situation like I had. I needed to be there to support him. I thought back to a particularly illuminating conversation I'd had with my dad one evening this past week:

"Bells, can we talk for a while?" Charlie started.

"Sure," I'd said.

"I know you're scared. But Edward loves you more than his own life. I know you both will find a way to work this out. He certainly didn't know about this little girl barely any sooner than you did."

I said, "But, Dad, you know things didn't work out for you and Mom."

"Bells," he continued, "your mother and I were different. We were different people – we wanted different things in life. If I wouldn't have been so crazy in love with her, I would've taken a step back and seen that. I was very impatient and wanted to get married right away. Your mother and I were barely together six weeks before I convinced her to marry me and we found out we were pregnant with you right away. Not that you weren't the best thing in the world and the light of my life, but Renee just didn't want to stick around this small town. She was miserable here.

Edward has taken time to find out more about you. You've both taken time to find out what each other likes and dislikes. You've no doubt had some disagreements about things already. You're building a strong foundation. And God knows you've already been a mother to your own mother for years now already!" He snorted at that last bit.

I had to smile in agreement with him. "I can see what you're saying," I had said.

Charlie then said, "I think you'll be a terrific mother. I don't know what kind of a life this little girl has had so far, but I think you and Edward would be really great parents to her. It sounds like she needs some stability in her life."

When Alice had shown us the pictures on her phone she had taken of Victoria modeling the outfits she'd picked out for her, Charlie, Sue and I were thrilled. She truly was adorable.

We were a couple of hours outside Seattle now. I turned on my cell phone and called Carlisle and set some plans in motion. I had called him that night when I left, so he knew I was leaving. He seemed very agreeable to the plan I was suggesting now and would start working on his end right away. I told him I'd be back in to work on Friday. He told me that wouldn't be necessary – Monday would be fine. He totally understood about reconnecting with the one you loved.

Once I got off the phone with Carlisle, I called Alice and filled her in on my plan. She squealed in delight, immediately told me we would skip lunch, and for me to go directly to the hospital. Eager little thing, wasn't she? Truth be told, I was eager to see Edward, too, but I wasn't looking forward to seeing the hurt in his eyes. I wished a thousand times I wouldn't have to see that.

EPOV

If this wasn't the damndest strange day – I'd put in with anyone. I knew I wasn't completely on my game. I just came from Carlisle's office. He told me he'd worked out a deal with my boss to let me off work at noon and Friday as well – to spend more time with Victoria. I told him Victoria was in kindergarten. Did no one understand English any longer? Finally, he'd sighed and said, "Edward, you've been through a lot this past week. Take some time away. Maybe you and Victoria can go do something fun this weekend." I'd agreed – although not much was fun in my life without Bella by my side.

About 11:30, I was paged to the Emergency Room for a patient. Great – I was allowed to leave in a half hour and now I'm getting a patient. Fuck my life! I looked at the chart. Jane Doe – heart problems – not sleeping well – not eating – possible depression. This is not what I need. The woman doesn't know her name and I'm supposed to diagnose something in a half hour? And why the hell did they put her in a private exam room? I grumbled to myself as I stalked over to the door and opened it. The curtain was pulled around the bed so the patient wasn't visible from the door.

"Ma'am?" I started gently. Might as well save being pissed off for when I was alone. I didn't need to take it out on a patient. She let out a small moan. Crap. I stepped closer to the bed and pulled the curtain back.

"Bella? Baby?" Bella was sitting up on the bed, looking at me through her tear-filled eyes. I went to her immediately and hugged her to me as tightly as I could, dropping her chart on the floor. Her arms were around me just as quickly. I said into her hair, "Are you ok, baby?"

"Yes, Edward," she choked out. "I'm so sorry I left you. I just got so scared and didn't know what to do. Everything was happening so fast. Alice came and got me. Edward, I'm so very sorry. I want a future with you and Victoria. I'm begging you, will you please take me back?"

I kneeled down then, beside the exam bed, and looked up at her. I said, "Will you let me attempt to explain what you mean to me?" I waited, studying her face as I spoke to make sure she was really listening.

"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars – points of light and reason. And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn't see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason for anything."

She was crying now, harder than before. I was crying too – but you probably figured that out already. I barely got out, "Baby, it felt like my heart was gone."

She nodded, "Mine too," then reached for me. I stood back up and encircled her waist with my arms again. Her arms were around my neck. I never wanted to let go.

I said quietly, "Please come back to me." She nodded against my shoulder. I brought her mouth up to mine and kissed her gently. I pulled back a bit and said, "Are you having these symptoms? If so, we need to get you checked out right away."

"Edward," Bella said as she continued to hold onto me, "I only have those symptoms because I'm heart-sick over missing you." I muttered something about "silly girl" but smiled in spite of myself. It felt like forever since I'd smiled. I suddenly remembered I was off for the rest of the day and the next day as well – so I told Bella that information. She smiled slyly. "I know – I had Carlisle work some magic for me."

I gave her a crooked smile and hoped it produced the desired effect. "Do you want to get out of here?"

"Yes," she agreed. "Let's go back to my apartment before Victoria gets out of school."

At Bella's apartment, I was careful with the love of my life. I didn't want to come on too strong – even though the only place I wanted to be was with her, beside her, inside her, on top of her, everywhere. As she led me to our bed, she said, "Edward darling, I've missed you so much. I need to feel you."

I don't know if it was because it had been a while since we'd made love or not, but every inch of skin I touched on my love was incredibly soft and sensitive. I could not get enough of her beautiful lips with my mouth as my hands caressed her body. I sucked and licked my way down from her earlobes to her neck to her beautiful breasts. She was panting and murmuring my name over and over again. I would never get tired of making love to this woman.

As my tongue dipped lower into her belly button, her moans deepened as she knew where I was going. I spread her legs gently as I slid my tongue deep inside her in one push. Her back arched up from the bed and one of her hands immediately flew to my hair. I took my time then, tasting Bella's slick folds. They should bottle this – it was the best stuff on earth. But then again – no – I was never going to share! I slid two fingers inside her as I lapped at her little bundle of nerves with the tip of my tongue. Soon, she was coming and coating my fingers with even more of her delicious wetness. "Oh Edward," she breathed, "I need you inside me now!"

Nope, not going to deny this beautiful woman one thing. I was inside her before a moment passed. She felt so good around me and we both groaned in pleasure at the same time. Being inside Bella was my favorite place to be. I wanted to go slowly, but it felt so damn good, and my damn dick was so hard, and I needed relief so badly, it was over long before I wanted it to be.

Afterward, I held her to my chest. I said gently, "Baby, we can do this. Have faith in us."

Bella replied, "I do. It won't always be easy, but as long as we're together, it will be ok." I held her tighter as I agreed.

As we chatted about everything and nothing, I told her we had moved Victoria into my other bedroom. Bella decided she should move some things to my apartment. We agreed we should pick up Victoria from school together, take her back to my apartment, have Bella make dinner and see how the evening progressed.

We did move some of Bella's things over before Victoria got out of school, so she would have enough for the next couple of days and Monday at work. I was going to miss our times at Bella's apartment, but we now were looking in the same direction – at our future together.

At the appropriate time, Bella and I went to the school. Victoria launched herself into Bella's arms like she was her best friend. "Bella!" she exclaimed. "Where have you been?"

Bella replied around the lump in her throat, "I was out of town for a couple of days, but I'm back now."

"Are you going to come home with my daddy and me?" Victoria asked her, looking earnestly into her eyes.

"Yes – if that's what you'd like."

Victoria sighed dramatically and replied, "Of course! Besides," she leaned in and whispered none-too-quietly, "I think if you're not there, that's why my daddy cries at night." Bella's eyes flew to mine to confirm the truth of that statement. I would never hold anything back from her. The pain of her being gone from my life was written there in my eyes for her to see.

We installed Victoria in the car and drove home. Bella kept her eyes downcast, even though I held her hand. I asked Victoria to go play for a bit, then I led Bella into our room.

"Baby, please don't be sad," I said as I drew her into my arms.

Bella replied, "I hurt you so badly."

"The important thing is that you are here now. And that you want this as much as I do, yes?"

"Yes," she said.

"Well then," I continued as I kissed her, "I won't waste any more time crying. Now I get to hold the love of my life every night. Later, after our daughter goes to bed, I'll show you how grateful I am for that. I love you, baby."

"I love you," she replied as she returned my kisses.

We had a nice, quiet weekend – getting acquainted with each other. Victoria was definitely two enthusiastic thumbs up with Bella staying. Watching Bella step into her mother role warmed my heart so much. She was a natural. I wouldn't say that neither of us were perfect, but we were getting the hang of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment