Sunday, February 14, 2010

Seattle General - Chapter 3

Disclaimer: I don't own Twilight, but I'm grateful to Stephenie Meyer's dream/vision. Please don't copy my original work. I'll send the Volturi after you. smile

BPOV

Oooooooooh! What is this banging in my head? Where am I? I opened one eye and looked around. I saw I was in my bed at home. I looked over at my nightstand and saw the aspirin and water. I wasn’t exactly sure how those got there, but I was grateful. I sat up a bit and swallowed them when I saw the clock said a bit after 9 a.m. I never sleep this late! I lay my head back down on my soft pillow and tried to piece together the events of the night before.

It was the 4th of July – a party at Carlisle’s house. I was talking with Jazz and Alice. That darn Dr. Edward Masen had shown up. We had started talking. He wasn’t as bad as I had initially thought – although he probably still had dazzled most of the female staff at the hospital. I think I started drinking after that. Then there was some dancing. Had he really convinced me to dance with him? He was slick – I’d have to give him that. Mmmm…I remembered a very nice tingly feeling I got through my body as he held me close to him. There were some fireworks – and was he trying to hold my hand during those? I couldn’t remember clearly. I was going to have to stop drinking around him! And then how did I get into bed? Did Jazz carry me here? I couldn’t remember anything about that.

I got up slowly and stretched. Good thing today was a holiday from work. I’d need it to recover. Maybe I could spend the day catching up on email from work and home or just puttering around the house. I really didn’t feel like going out anywhere just yet. I put my hair up in a ponytail and made myself a quick breakfast of toast and eggs. After breakfast, I decided to start checking email – nothing from my parents, but that didn’t surprise me. They had their own lives going on and I never expected them to write back right away. Then as I was deleting through junk mail, one email caught my eye:

From: Edward Masen
To: Bella Swan

Good morning Bella! I hope this email finds you feeling much better this morning. I was glad I was able to assist in getting you home in one piece last night.

Would you like to have coffee with me this afternoon at the Starbucks nearest your apartment? Please call me on my cell and say “yes.”

Edward


Well, cocky bastard, wasn’t he? And then another horrifying thought came to my befuddled brain. Did he get me undressed? I was going to kill Alice Brandon! I called her on the phone immediately. “Good morning!” she answered brightly.

“Alice!” I groaned. “What, sunshine?” “Please tell me Dr. Masen did not see me in any state of undress.” She assured me, “No, sweetie. I took care of all that while he was out of the room getting you your aspirin and water. Now how are you feeling?”

“Augh…better now that I’ve eaten breakfast. I may live. Although my head still hurts. Maybe I need caffeine.” Now where the hell had that thought come from? Oh yes, Mr. Cocky Bastard. “In fact, Dr. Masen sent me an email and wants to know if I will meet him at Starbucks later today.”

Alice replied, although I could almost hear her holding her breath, “And what did you say?” I said, “I haven’t responded yet. What should I say?” “I think you should go meet him. Have fun, Bells. It’s been a long time since you dated anyone.”

“Yeah, yeah,” I agreed. We chatted a bit more and then hung up. Another thought came to me. Where the hell had Edward got my email? From Alice? I groaned. Oh hell no – I had to be Miss Efficient, updating the damn recall cascade, adding everyone’s home and cell phone numbers and email addresses. Well, wasn’t I just the fucking Executive Assistant of the Year? I pulled up my list of phone numbers and went down the list until I got to Edward’s name and dialed his cell number.

“Hello?” he said in that drop-dead sexy British accent. I started, “Hello Edward. This is Bella Swan. I’m not sure if you remember me from last night but…” His chuckle made me smile as well. “You seem to have invited me out to Starbucks this afternoon.” “Yes, and I very much meant that,” he assured me. “OK,” I agreed. “How about 3 p.m.?” He said that would be great and he’d meet me there.

I puttered around the house for a bit, took a shower, dressed in some red shorts and a peasant blouse with some flowers embroidered around the neckline for color, and decided to leave my hair down. I had plenty of time to get to the restaurant without rushing and being out of breath. And regardless of what Alice Brandon thought – this wasn’t a date! Geez!

As I approached Starbucks, I saw him standing outside, waiting for me. I couldn’t miss him, tall, jawline that could split granite, tousled hair, crooked smile on his face, devastatingly handsome, looking right at me. Crap – what was getting into me? While we waited in a short line, he made sure I was ok from the night before and I assured him I was. After we had our coffee in hand, we decided to take a short drive to Alki Beach Park and walk along the shoreline.

Edward opened up more about his history. He told me his parents had passed away in a car accident when he was in college in England. His father had been a lawyer and had been pretty well-off financially. His father would’ve preferred him to go into law, but Edward’s heart was in medicine. His father understood his need to be happy and encouraged him along. He said there were more opportunities in the States with medicine, so he moved here and got his citizenship fairly quickly.

He also told me more about his most recent girlfriend, a nurse named Tanya. Did I want to hear this? Augh! They had met at the hospital and started dating. Just before they were going to move in together, he discovered she was sleeping around on him with some other doctors at the hospital. He’d been devastated at the time as he was going to ask her to marry him. He grabbed my hand gently and emphatically stated, “But, Bella, I’m definitely over that now,” and I could see in his eyes that he was.

I told him about growing up in a broken home – my mom moving out when I was about 5 years old and leaving me with my dad. There were a couple of summers I was shuffled back and forth, but Charlie saw how hard it was on me and he finally put his foot down and said, “No more.” I actually had a better relationship with my mom now that she was remarried and happy with Phil – maybe time did heal all wounds.

Talking about Jacob wasn’t difficult for me. I told Edward the truth – we dated in high school and into college. We were more like good buddies instead of dating material. With a smile, I told him I introduced him to a friend of mine in college and they’d been dating ever since, so at least someone got a happy ending.

About that time, we were back at Edward’s car and I noticed he was still holding my hand. It wasn’t in a possessive way – just comfortable and protective – like it belonged there somehow. He gave me that dazzling crooked smile again and said, “I should get you some dinner. You can’t run on caffeine all day!” “Edward…” I started to protest and he wouldn’t let me finish. He pulled me closer to him and whispered right in my ear, “Please, Bella – I want to.” Well damn…

EPOV

I could listen to Bella Swan all day long, but she looked like she was starting to drag a little and needed some food. I was surprised at how long she actually let me hold her hand. I hadn’t actually planned on holding her hand for that long – it just sort of happened. I was making a point about my former relationship. But she didn’t pull her hand away, so I kept it safely tucked into mine. It felt so natural, like her hand belonged there, and that electric current was back between us – so I wasn’t minding a bit.

I brought her around to the passenger side door of my Volvo and opened the door for her. She seemed surprised when I did that. Hadn’t anyone done those sorts of things for her before? I suggested a fast food restaurant and was so glad when she agreed. Fast food was one of my guilty pleasures. I was in a goofy mood – must’ve been the great company – so we had a great time laughing and joking around through dinner. I was glad she was opening up more with me and not being so shy. It did my heart a world of good.

Afterwards, I took her to her apartment. Bella said, “It’s ok, Edward. I can just get out here. There’s a ton of traffic because of the holiday. See you at work tomorrow?” Was she kidding me? “Bella, no.” I drove her around to her parking lot that we had used the other night we brought her home and parked my Volvo there. I took her hand in mine again and said, “I had a really nice day today. You?” She smiled back and me and said, “Yes, of course.” I decided to go for the big guns then and asked, “I know we just met the other day and all, but I’d really like to date you.” For a fraction of a second, I think my heart stopped beating. Then she looked up at me through her lashes and responded, “I’d like that.” If she wouldn’t think I was a total nut job, I’d fling open the car door right here and do back flips with joy through the parking lot.

I pulled her to me and hugged her awkwardly with one arm, burying my face in her hair. It smelled like faint strawberries. Absolutely heady. “Well,” I smiled, “this is sort of inconvenient. Let me walk you home.” She readily agreed. I came around to her side of the car, took her hand again and walked her up to her apartment. We chatted easily along the way, about nothing of great consequence. At her door, there was a pause as she opened her door and stated, “I’m home.” I stared into her eyes and said, “My Bella, I want to kiss you.” There was no hesitation on her part as she tipped her face up to mine. I cupped her chin in my hand and brought my lips to hers. It was a sweet kiss, full of promise. I then kissed her cheek and then began kissing down her neck. Bella wound her arms around my neck. Masen, you have got to get a grip on yourself! You are going to ruin this experience for her. I sighed and said roughly, “I should go.” She huffed out a small sigh as well and nodded. “Good night. I’ll see you tomorrow at work.” I smiled at her, then turned and left. My body was screaming at me to go back and finish what I started.

I drove back to my own apartment once my body calmed down enough to drive and looked out at the city lights. Being a doctor did afford some nice things – a great view of the city, nice clothes, a great car – but really, what was all of it if you didn’t have anyone to share that with? Nothing really. I knew exactly who I wanted to share all of it with and I had just dropped her off at her own apartment. Bloody hell – was I becoming a big sap romantic? Eh – I guess I’d always been a big sap romantic when I’d seen the relationship my parents shared over the years. I’d wanted a relationship just like theirs.

I went into my second bedroom I’d turned into a small office and turned on the light. I turned on the laptop computer sitting on the desk and waited impatiently for it to come to life. I flicked immediately to the email program. The best time to start the rest of your life was right now, I decided. I was surprised to see an incoming email waiting for me.

From: Bella Swan
To: Edward Masen

Edward, Thank you so much for today! I had a very nice time. I hope you arrived home safely.

Bella


My grin stretched from ear to ear. If the holiday traffic wasn’t so bad, I’d jump back in my car and go back over to her apartment and beg her on my hands and knees to let me back in the door. But for now, I guess email would have to work. Maybe our relationship would progress through email like one of those movies. Geez – that was so corny it even made me groan. I hit “reply” immediately.

From: Edward Masen
To: Bella Swan

Bella, I also had a wonderful time with you and want to do it again soon. Would you like to go to dinner with me on Tuesday night at 7 at the Brasa Restaurant?

Edward


Yes, I could’ve just picked up the phone and called her. Guess I turned into some sort of pansy ass. If she was going to say “no,” I didn’t want to hear it in my ear. I guess in black and white would’ve made it more final. As I was staring out into the night, contemplating the fact that I was becoming a pansy ass, my email program alerted me to an incoming email. I felt like taking some advice I’d given to patients – put your head between your knees and take deep breaths. Masen, grow some balls already, would ya? I clicked to open the email.

From: Bella Swan
To: Edward Masen

I’d be delighted!

Bella


Holy crap! She said yes! I let out a big “Yes! Woohoo!” that probably woke up the neighbors, but I didn’t care. My Bella was going out with me – tomorrow night! I was a happy man. Now off to the shower to take care of that aching need that was still coursing through my body and I’d sleep like a baby…

No comments:

Post a Comment