Sunday, February 14, 2010

SG - Chapter 2

Disclaimer: I don't own Twilight, but I'm grateful for Stephenie Meyer's dream/vision. Rated M for language, lemons (they're arriving soon!), lust, love & all other good "l" words!

EPOV

God, I hate these things! Some kind of cheesy 4th of July party. We didn’t have these in England. Isn’t this when they sacrifice the Americans? Er…I guess not. Fuck! What the hell does one do at a 4th of July party anyway? Eat? Get drunk? Well, I was all for those things! I just hope no one gets so drunk we have to peel them off the highway and take them to the hospital and fix them up…or worse. That takes all the fun out of a party. And who the hell was coming to this event? Were nurses and secretaries going to be swarming the place? Not that I had anything against nurses and secretaries per se. But a lot of them were just gold diggers and I didn’t want or need any part of that.

I put on the first thing I found in my closet that wasn’t scrubs – jeans, an emerald green t-shirt, and my beloved black Nikes. I grabbed a black jacket out of the coat closet just in case in got cold later. Carlisle’s flyer had mentioned some shit about fireworks. What the hell ever. Americans have some crazy-ass holidays.

I drove my Volvo SUV to Carlisle’s a little late. It looked like the party had already started and that was fine with me. Maybe I could just blend in. I let myself in the front door as I knew no one was going to be answering with everyone gathered in the backyard. A couple of people I knew were actually in the house so I stopped and greeted them, then continued on my way outside.

I expected to see Carlisle manning the grill at this event, but he was not. It looked like he had some caterers already taking care of such things. He and Esme had no doubt added more to the buffet spread that was already out. I went over to the drink display, grabbed an imported beer for some liquid courage, turned around and scanned the crowd. Excellent! I thought. Jasper Whitlock and his fiancĂ©e, Alice, were here. I’ll go and chat them up.

“Jazz! Alice!” I called to them through the crowd. I knew they could hear me, even through the music as they turned their heads slightly and waved in my direction. They were talking with some other people but motioned me over. I joined their little group and noticed briefly that one petite girl with long brown wavy hair was standing with her back to me, chatting animatedly with Alice. We stood, enjoying the music and the company and waited for the girls to get done with their talk. Soon, Jazz said to the petite brunette, “Bella Swan, we have someone we’d like you to meet, Dr. Edward Masen. He’s on staff at the hospital.” She turned to face me and a beautiful blush ran to her cheeks automatically. “Um…hi,” she stammered. I grinned a crooked grin at her encouragingly and said, “Actually, Miss Swan – Bella – and I already met yesterday when she was cleaning her office at work.”

I glanced down and saw that her Coke glass was almost empty. I gestured to it and asked, “May I get you a refill?” Suddenly the blush was gone from her face and she stated flatly, “No, I’m perfectly capable of getting my own drink. Thank you,” and stalked away from us. I looked to Alice, who said quietly, “I know you’re trying to be nice, Edward, but Bella’s very independent. She doesn’t need a man in her life. She doesn’t want to have to rely on anyone.” I looked over toward Bella at the drink table and a swell rose up in me. I wanted her to rely on me. I wanted her to want a man in her life – I wanted her to want me in her life.

BPOV

Are you fucking kidding me? Dr. Edward Masen has to be here – at this party? And he has to know Jazz and Alice? Oh well, of course he does. Dammit all to the fiery pits of hell! I stomped away from the little group, thrusting my chin in the air for extra emphasis, hoping Dr. Masen caught that. I was an independent woman and didn’t need some doctor catering to my needs, thank you very much. OK, yes, just looking at him turned me on – but he probably turned on 90 percent of the female staff!

I asked the man behind the drink table to refill my Coke and to add a healthy dose of rum, took a big sip, and got in the food line, which was just starting. Dr. Cullen was right near me. “Are you having a good time, Bella?” “A great time, thank you, Carlisle!” I responded with a smile. He told me then the catering staff would take care of any other needs anyone would have, so he wouldn’t need my help – I should just enjoy the party. Great – I could spend it avoiding Dr. Masen.

I found an empty table, sat down with my food and started eating and drinking more of that delicious rum and Coke. Jazz and Alice joined me shortly. I loved these two people and they were great for each other. Alice began brightly, “Bella, please don’t be mad at me!” How could I be mad at Alice? I adored her! “I invited Edward to sit with us.” OK…maybe I could start being mad at Alice. Edward sat at the one available seat next to me. Darn these tables for four! I could hardly ask the lovebirds to sit across from each other. Jazz and Alice were speaking quietly between themselves, so unless I wanted to be totally rude and just listen to the music playing, I would have to talk to Edward.

I huffed out a long breath and started, “So, Dr. Masen –“

“Please, call me Edward,” he replied gently.

“OK, Edward, how long have you worked at Seattle General?” “About six years.”

“From your accent, I gather you’re from England. When did you come to the States?” He looked at me, trying to decide if I really wanted to know or was just making polite conversation. He must’ve found the right answer because he responded, “About ten years ago.”

I continued on, “And where is your family?” “None of them are alive any longer,” he said with a sad note in his voice. “I’m sorry to hear that,” I said quickly.

“Why didn’t you bring your girlfriend to the party?” I asked, casually looking around, thinking she may materialize at any moment. He quietly said he’d broken up with his last girlfriend over a year ago.

“How old are you?” I asked next. “Just turned 30,” he replied.

He smiled that crooked smile at me again and asked, “Is the inquisition over? Can I ask the same of you?” Damn if he didn’t dazzle me. I explained briefly that I was 26, about my family and Jacob. He already knew when I’d started at the hospital. He did seem interested in hearing about my not-very-exciting life, which surprised me.

I noticed Dr. Cullen and Esme were the first ones up to dance. There was dancing at this party? I was definitely rolling my eyes now. Well, I would just sit here and watch. Dancing and I did not get along. I could twist an ankle before I could blink an eye. Several other couples joined them out on the lawn, as did Jazz and Alice. Edward and I just watched them for awhile as I took more long drinks from my rum and Coke.

Finally he said to me, “Bella, would you like to dance with me?” I told him – straight up – that I didn’t dance. He smiled, leaned toward me and whispered, “I beg to differ. I saw you dancing plain as day in your office.” I blushed and said that twisting an ankle was a definite possibility. He smiled again and said, “Well then, you’d be dancing at the right party. It’s full of doctors who could help you with that. Besides, I’ll take care of you. Trust me.” I looked at him dubiously, but held out my hand to him as he stood up. It’s a good thing I didn’t look into those green eyes too long – I would’ve been totally gone.

EPOV

I led Bella out onto a space of lawn just as the DJ started spinning a slow song. As soon as I put my arm around her waist and reached up to grasp her small hand with mine and she did the same, damn if she didn’t feel so right there. And I swear I could feel some sort of electric current running through every place our bodies were touching. I wondered if she could feel it as well. I knew I had never felt this with any of my past girlfriends – not Tanya, not anyone. I hadn’t had that many girlfriends. I’d been choosy over the years. I’d been more interested in getting my education, coming to the States – guess I had a more serious head on my shoulders than some of my bonehead friends.

I remember getting lost inside my own head and pulling Bella closer. Now that electric current was running all over me. She didn’t pull away and I was grateful for that. I suddenly remembered Alice telling me Bella was an independent woman. I’d have to take things slowly with her if I wanted any kind of chance with her at all. Not that the horny teenager side of my brain wasn’t screaming for me to take her inside Carlisle’s house and explore her body in all directions.

After three or four slow songs, the DJ put on a fast tempo one and I had a feeling Bella wouldn’t be up for that. I looked down into those milk chocolate eyes and asked her if she’d like to sit this one out. “Please,” she begged. I guided her back to our table. I took her glass without asking and had it filled with rum and Coke again and grabbed myself another beer and brought them back to the table. “Thank you,” she said when I returned, “You didn’t have to do that.” “I know – I wanted to.” She smiled and we both took a big sip of our respective drinks.

“So, what do you know about these fireworks?” I asked her. “Don’t you know about fireworks?” “I’m normally working,” I replied. She giggled and said, “Well, Edward, that’s pretty boring. You should try living a little!” I said, “You know, I think you may be right about that!” And Miss Bella Swan didn’t know how much I’d like her to fit into my living a lot.

It was getting pretty dark about this time and couples were starting to lie on the grass and forgo the dancing. I raised my eyebrow to Bella and she nodded her head. Since I wasn’t a fireworks expert, she guided us through the crowd to a perfect spot and we sat on the grass. She then threw herself flat on her back and looked up at the dark sky. I kept myself propped up on one elbow, just looking at the perfection that I was finding in her. “Are you cold?” I asked her. “No, I’m good,” she said, smiling. “Edward,” she said, pulling at my elbow, “you can’t watch fireworks propped up like that. You have to watch them looking straight up.” By this point, I was beginning to see that Bella didn’t often drink and she was starting to feel the effects of her rum and Coke’s by being kind of giggly and silly. As long as she was letting me near her, I wasn’t complaining. I let her pull me down next to her and we watched the show. It was fantastic! The childlike wonder on her face was hypnotic. I was also enjoying that delicious electric current that was occurring between Bella’s hand and mine that were next to each other on the grass.

When the fireworks were over, I exclaimed, “That was the best thing ever, Bella!” I looked over at her. She was sound asleep. I tried to rouse her from sleep, but she seemed pretty happy where she was.

The crowd was starting to thin out now and thankfully, Jazz and Alice were coming our direction. Alice wrinkled up her forehead and said, “How much did you give her to drink, Edward?” I held up my hands in defense and said, “Hey! I didn’t get her drunk on purpose. I didn’t know she wasn’t much of a drinker!” She said to Jazz, “C’mon, Jazz, let’s get her home.” I interrupted and said I wanted to help. They looked at each other for a moment and then shrugged.

Alice found Bella’s hoodie and extra jeans along with her car keys. I scooped her up in my arms and carried her out the side yard entrance to my car and buckled her in. Even this didn’t wake her. Jazz drove their car and Alice drove Bella’s RAV4. At Bella’s apartment, I lifted her from the car and she moaned my name sleepily and lolled her head against my shoulder; I carried her in and Alice showed me where the bedroom was. She pulled the sheets and comforter down as I gently lay Bella on her bed. I got some aspirin and water for her out of her bathroom as Alice undressed her and got her settled under the covers. Yes, my horny mind protested, I wanted to be the one doing that for her – but I also wanted her to remember any time we spent together like that the next day.

Alice spoke quietly to Bella, saying, “You’re at home now, sweetie, and in bed. I’ll call you tomorrow to see how you feel. Sleep well. Love you.” She lightly touched her shoulder and stepped away from the bed. I brought the aspirin and water and placed them on her nightstand. I looked down at Bella’s innocent, sleeping form and whispered, “I hope to see you again soon as well, my Bella.” Then we all left her apartment as Alice locked the door securely.

No comments:

Post a Comment